Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone fish from a 1542 jon?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone fish from a 1542 jon?

I'm considering getting one right now. Looking at either Tracker or Alumacraft but with the 42 bottom I'm concerned with stability. Of course 48 would be better but for some reason when you go 6" wider the boat seems to increase in value by about a thousand bucks. I can get in the 42 bottom for about $1200-1300 as opposed to $2400+ for a 1448. If I get it plans will be, small skinny center console mounted forward with small aluminum front deck extending infront of afor mentioned console with battery and or fuel storage and a small jet possibly with float pods, again depending on weight distribution needs. I have a trailer, and several motor options on hand, just no hull. I'm about 6', 240lb so I can rock the boat a wee bit. I haven't found one to climb in a try out.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Alumacraft 1452 Crappie Jon and really like it. I looked for one for the right price for a couple years. Some folks here prob remember me looking. Take your time and you can find what you want at a reasonable price.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the wider width but I am a little bigger than you. I had a 15' Nova Ultra Jon and I am still trying to get the guy who has it to sell it back to me. If you are in no hurry you can get the larger boat in your price range. Heck you could go even bigger than 15'

Post Thanks / Like

I'm shopping cheap right now. After I get my wifes Corolla and my RZR S paid off, I'm going to get a larger 18ft+. In the meantime though I need to make due and not have a payment.

Post Thanks / Like

Just look around. I know where there is an older Crestliner 15' v-bottom on a trailer sitting at a dealer with an asking price of $500. If it was a foot longer it would already be in my driveway. I saw a 14' flatbottom with a trailer on craigslist this morning for $500.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G3 1544 flatbottom and it is very stable. I about 250# and 5'11" and I have stood on the back bench seat looking around and not felt unsafe, and when my wife or kids are with me they do not get scared even when I am up and moving around.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jon_mac View Post
    I have a G3 1544 flatbottom and it is very stable. I about 250# and 5'11" and I have stood on the back bench seat looking around and not felt unsafe, and when my wife or kids are with me they do not get scared even when I am up and moving around.
    Makes me nervous thinking about this. Do you have their butts velcrowed down?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jon_mac View Post
    I checked on that model G3 as well. It's about $600 more than the 1542 Alumacraft though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with canepole on the bottom width issue, I fish out of a 1448 polarcraft (early 90s model) and have never had any problems with stability. Friend had a 1542 Fisher and it did not have near the stability of my 48" bottom boat. The bottom of my boat was only 6" wider than his, but it seemed to have twice the interior room. If you can swing it I think you will be much more satisfied with a minimum 48" bottom width boat.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the personal classifieds.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast