Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Powder Coating two colors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Powder Coating two colors

Hey any tips for powder coating two colors on a jig? I'm just getting into painting jigs. I'm using a double fluid bed. Any tips welcome.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Your second color will have to be added by dipping the jig in a second color that isn't in a bed. I use the lid off the container to pour some paint in. You also can use a brush and tap the color onto the jig, this is the way most add the second color. Take a small arts & craft brush (using paint in a lid) and load the brush with paint. While the jig-head is still hot hold the jig closely over the lid of paint while holding the brush over the head, use your index finger to tap the brush making a powder of paint fall onto the head. Takes a little working with everything to get this right. The head may not look right when you do this but once the head is cured the two paints will blend together.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a video on the Brush-Tap method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1TP...=results_video Best one I've seen. You can get results like this

Like Stump Hunter said, another method is to coat the entire head with 1 color then dip a portion of the head in a second powder. Gives you this look

Also, you can dip in 1 color as a base coat then dip the head completely in a 2nd color, as an overcoat, for something like this

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Pepop; 06-08-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: add info

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. Another question have you'll used the uv blast? Do you just use it after your last color?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what a UV Blast is.

Post Thanks / Like

Tj 's have it on the web site and if I read it right its a clear coat but its UV powder. I know there us a line of UV bait for the bass fisherman. They say that fish are attracted to it. I watched a bass tourn and sounded really cool. So I got some to try. That's all I know about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of Clear but it's not the UV kind. I "stretch" all my color's by adding Clear to them and I also have several container's of Clear with various glitter's mixed in(Clear with Red glitter, Clear with Silver glitter, Clear with Gold glitter etc). These I use as Topcoat's, adding sparkle & gloss to the paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good idea. Those were some really nice looking jigheads. Is that a custom mold your using? Thanks again for the help..

Post Thanks / Like

I don't pour, I buy. They're 1/12oz called Minnow Head. I get them from LABaits.con.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast