Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ky lake weed beds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ky lake weed beds

The wife and I will be at wildcat creek next week. We will be crappie fishing but she wants to fish for gills and redears one day. Can anyone tell me where there are some weed beds near that area. Will travel couple miles if needed. We usually are there in the spring and crappie fish deep so I am not familiar with the weed beds. Thanks for any help in advance.
    The only thing better than a day of fishing.Is a week of fishing.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The average fisherman will protect the whereabouts of a weedbed the same he would his favorite stakebed.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't looking for any ones honey hole just some general ideas of the area weed beds are located on that section of lake such as east side, west side etc. I don't give out my good spots either, but I will give general areas and types of places I am catching fish. That is all a good fisherman needs to locate fish of their own. But thanks anyway thought I might get a little information that would help us locate some gills and crackers.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by High Bridge Hooker View Post
    I wasn't looking for any ones honey hole just some general ideas of the area weed beds are located on that section of lake such as east side, west side etc. I don't give out my good spots either, but I will give general areas and types of places I am catching fish. That is all a good fisherman needs to locate fish of their own. But thanks anyway thought I might get a little information that would help us locate some gills and crackers.
    Try the backs of the bays on LBL side toward TN bridge.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir I will give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Try the backs of the bays on LBL side toward TN bridge.
    X2
    "There is a Fine line between Fishing and just standing on the shore like an Idiot"

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I got on some huge redears and gills off the rock point straight across from patterson point boat ramp in about 7 to 8 feet of water if you dont mind the idiots with the 200 hp motors acting like your not even there. And also jet skis seeing how close they can get to you without running you over. Good luck maybe ya'll will find some and catch a cooler full...

Post Thanks / Like

Good post! Excellent job of looking for a little information, getting it and then doing something with it. Nice of you to share. It does seem like there are some out there who delight in making it harder for some people to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Good post! Excellent job of looking for a little information, getting it and then doing something with it. Nice of you to share. It does seem like there are some out there who delight in making it harder for some people to fish.
    Is a person's tendency of keeping their info to themselves "making it harder for some people to fish"? I disagree with that mindset severely. Haul your butt out during the winter, in bad conditions, and put out crappie structure that anybody who finds is allowed to fish. Spend some days, with zero tackle in the boat, watching a side-scan screen, learning new places to try that may or may not ever be productive. Get out of your comfort zone and try a new technique that might make you a better fisherman.

No, that would be too hard. Just go on an internet forum and ask for the latest and greatest info so you can run to the nearest lake and fill your livewell, put pics on a forum and tell the world about it. Most of the guys here, who show great catches, are less than willing to spill their guts on a forum because they have worked tirelessly for years to make the places and techniques they use to catch those livewells full, public knowledge because they have been burned by it more times than they would like to admit.

There is more information shared weekly on this site than could be written down in a full set of encyclopedias. I have crappie fished most of my life but have become a much better fisherman since I became a member here. I didn't learn from asking for specific places to go or what to use on the public forums. I learned by reading not just on the KY Forum or Main Forum, but many of the other state forums or the specific forums like the electronics or trolling motor forum. I learned by sending PMs to folks and asking GENERAL questions that they may or may not be willing to answer. If they chose to not give me the info I asked for, I still respected them for their decision. I have also become friends with many here who I consider the best of the best when it comes to not only crappie, but most any species we are likely to see swim in our lakes. I have shared both my boat and their boats with them and to a man and to a minute, enjoyed every bit of it. I have shown my spots to them and learned many of their secret spots. If I was asked to not go to or take others to their spots, I did what was asked of me out of respect to that person and the work they put in to find/make that spot. I get calls from those who have fished with me if I mind them going to one of my spots. I wear that call as a badge of honor because somewhere I did something to earn the respect of that person making that call.

I think for you to come on here and criticize anybody for not giving out specifics is wrong. Walk a mile in their shoes and see how your feet feel at the end of it.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I never ask for or give specifics. I only ask for general areas ,depths, type of cover etc. I gladly give these if I know. Like I said earlier if you know these then you can locate fish faster on a new body of water. I have fished for over 50 years and both given and received some helpful information. This had made me a better fisherman and I hope helped others as well. I was blessed with some great teachers and hope to pay it forward to the next generation. In my opinion fishermen are some of the finest people on earth. I always appreciate any help given and if someone does give me their favorite spots I keep it private. I will send private messages to members with some info, especially some one coming to the lake for the first time. I also place cover and know the work that goes into it. Fishing is a year round hobby learning new styles of fishing, places to fish, etc. We come and visit our relatives and fish ky lake every year. But we have never looked for or fished weed beds for bluegill. Thanks go out for all information given I will use it wisely and it will not be posted for all to see. And if you are ever in my area and I can be of help please send me a private message and I will give all help possible. Again thanks to all who posted or sent a PM. I will be down next week and staying at wildcat creek. My wife and I will be in a blue Lowe boat if you see us please say hello.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast