Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinton 6-5

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clinton 6-5

Kept 13 this morning, had 2 14's and a 13" in the bunch...........thought I had Chatt beat, oh well.

Caught all but 2 fish swinging tree's in 7-15 fow, water was pretty stained but not muddy. Fish were hanging out 5-7' down tight to the timber. Used a 1/8 weedless jighead w/ 2" slab slay'r bodies......Chartreuse tail on all.

Fished several brushpiles in the 12-15 fow water range, piles were in cleaner water and loaded with short fish. Got 2 keepers out of about 50 runts.........they didn't have any trouble taking a 3" slab slay'r.

Will probably give it a go again in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

good luck in the morning. thanks for the report.
    The Speed of a Rhino The Power of a Gazelle

Post Thanks / Like

Kept 12 in a short trip this morning, didn't mess with the brushpiles and stayed in the tree's. They didn't want it on the swing today, but caught most just letting the jig freefall down the trunk. Junebug/Chart Slab Slay'r was the snack of choice.

Switched jobs about 7 months ago and am now a weekend worker, all my days off are during the week................man, boatramps a real peaceful on Tues., Wed., and Thurs.. Took next weekend off so will have 10 off after Monday, will probably fish a bit(sarcasm).

Post Thanks / Like

Hm. I am undecided on going to Clinton or lacgyne tomorrow morning on the 7th.

Never really had great luck with Clinton for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Catching better fish on brushpiles now, the tree's I had been fishing have really slacked off. Tried longlining jigs this morning..........a cable steer trolling motor and wind is a bad combo. Also saw my first skier and got to listen to crappy music from a wakeboard boat a mile away(still to loud), summer is here.

Post Thanks / Like

Gave trolling crankbaits a try this morning, kept 6...........caught a 14" out where the walleye roam. Not many bites, what few I caught where on a Fingerling Fat-free shad. While the bite wasn't that hot, I did add about 30 new brushpiles. Won't be the last time I give cranks a try, but man it sure is boring...........guess I need to find an area with more takers. Will give longlining jigs another go, got lot's of boat control practice today. You all have a great weekend.........especially all you Fathers.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Clinton 6-16 pretty slow day. Tried shallow first thing and nothing. Hit some tress in 15 fow water wasn't marking anything but thought I would try since I was there nothing. Marked some fish on channel ledges tried them and ended up with 12 keepers probably just as many of more throw backs and a few whites that went back. Crappie were caught 8-12 foot down on whites were 4 foot down. Jigs were bait of choice color didn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

crappie_hunter, when you are fishing with jigs on a channel ledge like that are you casting it out and retrieving, vertical jigging, or both? just curious and hope you do not mind me asking. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I almost always verticle jig in some form or another, probably my biggest downfall as a crappie fisherman though, but that's how I enjoy catching them and usually find a few willing to take the bait. Anyway when fishing a ledge if there are trees on the ledge I use a combination of the trees and depth finder to hold myself in the right depth last Sunday they seemed to be suspended just on the top side of the ledge. If there are no visuals like trees then I throw a bouy marker out on the ledge and fish accordingly. Wind and depth dictate jig size. When it gets real windy I either tie off if there's something to tie to or just try and slow troll on the ledge (0.2 to 0.5 mph) by using bouy markers for visuals. This would be similar to what some call spider rigging except I'm just holding 2 poles and running just jigs. I try and keep the angle of the line less than 15 degrees; using low profile baits like Bobby Garland baby shad and thin line like a 2# diameter braid or nano fill can help with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great response crappie_hunter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast