Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel magic vs wd-40

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel magic vs wd-40

I got me a can of reel magic and tried it on my reels sure seem like it made a difference .when I sprayed it there was a familiar odor.smelled like wd-40 to me what do ya'll think.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure but reel magic is to make line limp and cast better. WD-40 is a solvent and wonder if it would weaken line? If I had to guess , I figure Reel Magic might be Silicone?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Not the same thing and real magic would be closer to silicone spray that is 100% silicone. Would not use WD 40 for the same thing and sure wouldnt spray my line with it. Don't know what it would or wouldn't do, but no thanks to that.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the stuff endorsed by Kevin Van Dam - excellent!!

Post Thanks / Like

Try KVD Line & Lure conditioner instead. You'll notice better result vs. Reel Magic. Stay away from WD-40, which is a petroleum based product.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

While I haven't used wd 40 on my line it makes a great fish attractant one of the main ingredients is fish oil next time the bite is slow spray some on your jig or grub I didn't believe it till I fished for Halibut in Alaska most charter Captains use it on slow days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chimneyman View Post
    While I haven't used wd 40 on my line it makes a great fish attractant one of the main ingredients is fish oil next time the bite is slow spray some on your jig or grub I didn't believe it till I fished for Halibut in Alaska most charter Captains use it on slow days
    Works well for catfish too, but Crappie are a lil different. Too much like gasoline for me. I have had some bad fishing days after spilling gas on my hands. May have just been a coincidence, but one I try not to repeat.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    Works well for catfish too, but Crappie are a lil different. Too much like gasoline for me. I have had some bad fishing days after spilling gas on my hands. May have just been a coincidence, but one I try not to repeat.
    This taken from the WD-40 website directly:

What a Fish story!

Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
    Fact:
    Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.
    WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

So even if it is attracting fish it may also harm the environment. Also according to WD-40 website the product is "WD-40 does indeed have 50% mineral spirits" so I guess it is beter than dumping motor oil in the lake but only marginally.
    "There is a Fine line between Fishing and just standing on the shore like an Idiot"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

RIGHT ON, Killum ... we've had the WD-40 "fish attractant" & "contains fish oil" discussion several times already, and some lively debates over it !!

If you read the MSDS for WD-40 ... you won't see any mention of "fish oil" (just petroleum distillates & mineral spirits ... both of which are environmentally unfriendly)
    And the WD-40 manufacturer even put out a disclaimer about its use as a fish attractant, when it was listed on the "X number of uses for WD-40" list that showed up on the internet.

WD-40 MSDS - http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

Reel Magic MSDS - http://www.ttiblakemore.com/pdf/msds...ube%20rml3.pdf (note that silicone is not listed as a part of this product)

Have not been able to find the MSDS for KVD Line & Lure product.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I used WD on my reels and line for 6 years while living in Florida and never had any line problems, it got rid of all saltwater on the reels, not sure about how it effects crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast