Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need an aerator for my shiner bucket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need an aerator for my shiner bucket

Hello,
    I am looking for an aerator to put in my shiner bucket to add some oxygen in this hot weather. I have used the "search" function on this forum but got zero results. So, I thought I would just ask the experts. I have a small igloo ice chest (probably about 3 gallons) that I use for my shiner bucket. I would prefer a 12V aerator but am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Mino-Mizer

It is the best on the market. Can be hooked up to 12v (get the adapter), 120v (get the transformer), or 6v. I use mine at home, on the water, and in camp.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a D cell Frabil. The batteries last a long time, the pump is quiet, and my whole unit is portable for use in other folks boats. Remember to drop in a frozen water bottle when it's hot out.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

I use a D cell Frabil. Get it at Walmart for about $9. It holds 2 D batteries, but 1 will run it for a long time.
    Freeze a few 10 oz. water bottles. Add 1 to cool the minnow water. I have a few that have been used a few 100 times.

Post Thanks / Like

I kept 4 dozen minnows alive for 3 days this weekend in 80+ degree temps. Couple of ice cubes and a 1/2 gallon of campground tap water each night. The mino-mizer is not a bubbler, it cools and aerates the water by maintaining a fine mist above the water. The action keeps the surface water moving at all times. Both actions add air to the water naturally, like a wind driven light rain.

I ordered 4 dozen minnows and ended up with about 2 dozen actual count at the end of the weekend. I lost about 1-2 minnows overnight and maybe 3-4 during the day. I didn't count the 4 dozen, pretty sure it was a very healthy 4 doz count. I have used air bubblers (single and double stream) and have several in my fish tanks (50 and 30 gallons). The mino-mizer, in my opinion, is a far better product to use.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the mino-mizer with the 12V adapter. Got it set up in the garage running off a 6VDC adapter. (Florida in the heat of the summer)
    Filled my Styrofoam minnow bucket with water, checked the water temp. Was 27 degrees C. (80.6 degrees F)
    let mino-mizer run for 12 hours, checked water temp, 23 degrees C, (73.4 degrees F) air temp. 25 degrees C (77 degrees F)
    Let run an additional 12 hours, checked air temp 28 degrees C (82.4 degrees F)
    Water temp. 23 degrees C ( 73.4 degrees F)
    From my limited experiment, I would say that if the mino-mizer were used in conjunction with a styrofoam bucket, it should maintain a temp in the low 70 degree F range.
    I have no way to check the dissolved oxygen content of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Great test report.
    HOI Crappie Club

Post Thanks / Like

You know you can go to walmart and get what is called a bubble box it is battery operated it runs on 2 D batteries it comes with the unit the tube and a weight to hold the tube down it works really well and it is only 8$!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soloist View Post
    You know you can go to walmart and get what is called a bubble box it is battery operated it runs on 2 D batteries it comes with the unit the tube and a weight to hold the tube down it works really well and it is only 8$!!!!!!!
    That's the one I use, made by Frabil, but it's $8.87, so I call it $9.