Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deep Trolling!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep Trolling!

I have not had a chance to get out this week and working next weekend...I'm at Weiss Ala. way up north...Mud creek...followed the creek out till I hit the main creek channel 27'-30' deep headed to the Coosa river...noticed some very sweet looking areas marked fish in 12'-15' range....If your a long troller...do you get out on these ledges and pull 1/12th-1/8th heads....and would you share some thoughts...I can find the ledges, bends in the creek and brush piles...pull jigs on top and down the ledges...where bait and fish are present...it's hit or miss but I might luck up on something? what line size..still 6lb? or go to 8lb? If I find some fish on structure I can drop a jig straight down...but I just like the trolling....lol thanks
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

Try pulling 200 or 300 series bandits on 6-8lb test ,normal cast then one rod length pull. You will need to play with the amount of line til you get bit . Use more natural colors in clear water flashy in stained. At the depth ur marking I would start at 1.2 mph work up from there . I use 4lb test on my home lake but I know where all the structure is . Even if you don't catch any you'll be fine tuning your technique . Hope this helps , let us know how it turns out. Oh reel the fish in slow and steady and don't stop the boat . Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

If your stuck on jigs , get close enough you can cast past the area you marked them and count down then retrieve ,keep adding time to the countdown until you hook up or snag. If you want long line jigs same as cranks only slower .4-.9 you'll have to play with it. There are many experts on the site who can help you refine your presentation . Just my 2 cents lol good luck good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Weiss full of trees and brush logs everything..I have tons of bandits bill norman cranks I will pull them.. to see...what series...300-200? were limited to 3 rods

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liftbite56 View Post
    Weiss full of trees and brush logs everything..I have tons of bandits bill norman cranks I will pull them.. to see...what series...300-200? were limited to 3 rods
    Eventhough most of my fishing during the summer is with cranks, I do not recommend the cranks for that area of Weiss. You can upsize the jig head in the deeper water or add a small piece of splitshot 18" or so in front of the jig. I would stay with the 6lb line, the bigger the line the harder to get it down deeper. Zig zag the ledges and find some points.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ..everyone...Callshy you've fished the upper end of Weiss??? I have heavy heads...that is my plan...most people that I know are chasing stripers now...
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Told you we get a positive response. I'd use 200's if you try cranks , but callshy has fished it I have not. Let us know how u do . Get some pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liftbite56 View Post
    Thanks ..everyone...Callshy you've fished the upper end of Weiss??? I have heavy heads...that is my plan...most people that I know are chasing stripers now...
    Most of my fishing on Weiss has been between Mud Creek and Riverside the past several years. Yellow Creek and powerhouse would be a good place to try the cranks. Weiss has lot of black crappie and they can be a little different to catch on the cranks than the whites.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy View Post
    Most of my fishing on Weiss has been between Mud Creek and Riverside the past several years. Yellow Creek and powerhouse would be a good place to try the cranks. Weiss has lot of black crappie and they can be a little different to catch on the cranks than the whites.
    2 weekends ago almost all the fish out of Mud were white's size was really good most over 12" some 14" (shooting) docks...water clarity in mud is very dingy like rotten vegetation...my guess it stays that way...as I motored out to the main part of Mud 27'-30' the water was more of the Weiss green I'm used to. That is where I found all the juicy stuff...bends in the creek...the brush, stumps, and trash on the river breaks...I spent so much time years ago on Weiss chasing Bass and NEVER put a crappie in my boat... I had a sickness...but...I'm better now I strictly chase crappie now, my camper is on Mud about half way back...past the bridge. My hopes are as I approach retirement I'll have some good info...summer, fall, winter, spring patterns to work with...Thanks to everyone...I'll post success's and failures...later Liftbite...