Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scanning docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default scanning docks

hi, anyone having good success side orscanning under docks for crappie? my point here is in this case I know where the structure is but I need to quickly scan a dock for fish and move on.
    If you're doing this well, please tell me what kind of unit you are using. Post a pic if you have time.
    thanks
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a couple times but all I've been able to do is capture the support pilings/posts in a picture, can get all of the support pilings to show in the snapshot but have to turn the contrast way down to make the picture dark and then the pilings will show as white dots but then the fish, if any, don't have a strong enough return to show up. It will take some experimentation with the settings to get fish to show, and possibly from just one angle.

If the fish are hanging out real close to the pilings, the pilings would provide a stronger return than fish. If you could be in the right spot, and the fish are in-between the pilings, then the fish might show up as a clump of white dots between the support pilings.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

jump, what unit are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 1 HDS 8

Name:  shot 45.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  19.3 KB

Here is a snapshot of what I'm talking about or trying to say, you can see the support posts but not the fish, if any.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

there is some good info on the web that might help you, I did some research today. all sorts of adjustments to make

Post Thanks / Like

got some links to share?
    GO BIG ORANGE !

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would set that sucker on 30 foot range and move closer to the dock. Try blue palette. Set that contrast down to about 60-65. I usually set my range to about 3 times the depth. Seems to work best here.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

also i read that it's best to use the 455 khz on the transducer, but I'm going to try both if i ever get my brand new unit back from the shop
    G3PO

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    also i read that it's best to use the 455 khz on the transducer but I'm going to try both if i ever get my brand new unit back from the shop
    brettw is correct because the 455khz beam covers all the way to the water surface out to the side...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing around with it for a couple of weeks now. 455khz seems to work best for me. Fish were all over this dock and one next to it. Came back 3 days later and they were all gone!

Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 405
Size:  57.9 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast