Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Does anyone use baitcasting reels for casting small jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone use baitcasting reels for casting small jigs

Just wondering if anyone uses a baitcasting reel for casting jigs if so what rod and reel do you use and what line.

Post Thanks / Like

Not possible.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I was just curious if it was possible.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, it can be done .... just not with JUST a small jig, alone. You "might" cast a 1/8oz ...on a med action 7' rod with light line & a high end b/c reel ... but, you'd better be experienced in using a b/c reel, before you start trying (or have a lot of line & a lot of patience ) And you wouldn't be casting it any great distance, either.

The usual 1/32 & 1/16oz jigs, that Crappie anglers use, just don't have enough weight to pull line from a b/c reel. Now, put a float or extra weight on the line, and the possibility increases. Most Crappie anglers use b/c reels for methods that employ rod holder use, or a vertical jigging technique ... not for "casting" techniques.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have BC reels on about half my crappie rods. I use light action rods and all my reels have flippin switchs - but they don't cast worth a toot. For Flippin and Pitchin with 1/8+ oz jigs they are great. I flip or pitch stumps, trees, and to brushpiles lots. I use BC reels on my spider rigs and longline rods but for casting lightweight jigs I use spinning outfits.

8lb line
    Last edited by IkenI; 05-31-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have a BP light BC. Very good reel. Its really for 1/4oz spinners or 3/32oz. Its possible to use lighter jigs with a slip bobber.
    Youll need a good bobber I think to gain any benefit weedless jigs help. Actually you could cast 1/64oz on any baitcaster if you use the right settings, string, bobber setup. Some might say any bobber will work. The best I've used are clear plastic. One designed for casting!.
    Fin

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest rig I can effectively cast with a bc reel is a 1/8 oz jig or beetle spin. I have done it a lot during spawn and it will tear 'em up. This is on a 6'6" M action rod with a moderate taper. I also use one on my doodlesocking rods to be able to control my depth (and the occasionaly bass or catfish).

Post Thanks / Like

Default possible vs. practical

Yup - if you get a really good b/c and you get really good with your really good b/c - it's possible to cast a light jig a little ways - but I don't know why you'd do that to yourself if there was an alternative
    Always do what's right - it'll amaze some people and mystify the rest!