Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New reel /line question

Post Thanks / Like

Default New reel /line question

My wife and my son bought me a new Lew's spinning reel SS300a. Line cap is 180/10 but it also comes with an extra spool. Now I only really got serious about fishing over the last year or so and still learning the do's and don'ts as I go along. To many don'ts can get expensive so I am asking here about if I can spool one of these spools with 6# line without having to many problems. The other spool I will fill up with 8# line. So if someone could educate me here just a little I would appreciate it.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Really depends on what the rod will handle. Any good 6# and 8# will work fine. The reel stores the line so it doesn't care what test the line is. Trilene XL is really good. Good fishing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think what line size you put on the reel has more to do with how you plan on using it (what techniques), than what rod you put it on. Most any rod that a 300 series (mid-size) reel would be used on, should handle a range of line test from 4-12lb pretty easily. Putting the reel on a rod that it balances out well with, is the more important factor.

If it holds 180yds of 10# test mono ... it's going to take a 300yd filler spool each - of 6# or 8# line to fill each of the spools. How often you plan on re-spooling with new line might cause you to consider buying larger (bulk) spools. Your choice of 6# & 8# test sounds fine, to me. The reel can handle braid, so I doubt you'd have any problems with mono of that size. Follow the directions on how to spool the line onto the reel ... from the manual of the REEL, if it's contained in the manual. Otherwise, follow the line spool instructions on the packaging of the LINE.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had a whole lot of reason to use 6# line over 8#. Usually, they are fairly similar in diameter and I haven't noticed any difference in the fish biting with one over the other so I usually use 8# or 4#. The reel should do fine with either but casting ability will deteriorate when you get low on that larger sized spool with either which will take quite a while with ~250 yds of line on there. Just my humble opinion of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd first fill the spool halfway with cheap 15lb mono so you don't waste 100 yards of good 6lb line.

Post Thanks / Like

I take it that this reel is a spinning reel, but do not know that line of reels well enough to know what size it is, but I love my Shimano reels and for crappie I like the 1000 size best, but use from 500 to 2000 and not any larger for me.

My 1000 says 110 yards of 6# is all it needs to fill and that works for me even if I want 8 pound like, just have less on it then.

Forgot to say I use both mono and braid and all braid needs some mono on it before you put the braid on. What I try to do it put the backing line of and tie it to the braid to finish filling it. I try to leave just enough room so I can have something like 50 yards of braid and that is enough and more than I can cast it.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd put 8 or 10# braid on it, braid has a smaller dia. and will not break as much ........... the cost will be higher but will last 2 or 3 seasons I've got braid on all my poles some is 4 years old and still works fine

Post Thanks / Like

CP is right on the nose. The line weight needs to follow your intended use. What are you fishing for, in what environment, and what are you throwing at them? Your reel can handle anything from 4lb to 20lb test with no problem. The heavier the line, the shorter the casts will be, given the same weight lure/bait. The heavier the line, the less it will take to fill the spool. The spools generally come in two different 'capacities.' One is made for the heavier and the other for the lighter line option you choose. Keep in mind that a 100 yds of line is a whole lot of line! Think about how often you'll really need a whole football field's length of line dragging out there in the water.....Then consider what you'd do with 3 football field's worth - that's what 300 yds of line gives you. It is important to keep the spool reasonably full to cast well, but what's underneath doesn't have to be expensive mono or hybrid line. The advice to use some backer line first and then top it off with good line on the business end is sound. That way you won't feel so bad when you strip and replace it as often as you should.
    Always do what's right - it'll amaze some people and mystify the rest!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pretty good idea what I wanna do now that I have a reel with 2 spools one is to spool the smaller spool with 6# and maybe the larger spool with 10# and swap them out depending on the fishing conditions as they change. The 6# will give me the ultra-light which I don't currently have, and then I was thinking in swapping it out for 10# test if I want to run buzz baits or some larger jigs. I currently have a nice Abu Garcia 304i with 8# which I use as my main crappie reel because I like the feel and balance of it. But have taken note of all of the suggestions as saving money is a concern as line can get pretty expensive, so buying a bulk spool or two is a good option for me. And I do have a a couple nice rods that will pair well with this new reel and try to play close attention when matching things up and know it is important if I expect to get the best performance out of the reel and the rod.

Why I gave up fishing is beyond me it was the 2nd worst mistake I made the first one was I go married lol. But I sure do appreciate all the input as it has helped me tremendously.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Shimano that has dual reels. One has been spooled and in my tackle box since the day I got it. The other reel lives on the pole full time. If I break off and need another rod quick, I grab another rod. I usually keep three rods in the boat, 4 pound, 6 pound and 8 pound. In Illinois you can only use two poles at a time per person.
    I re-spool all my reels every year. I also break off about 10-20' of line every time I tie on a new slip knot. This gets rid of kinks, twist, nicks, hot spots, etc. so I don't break off at the wrong time. I also use Trilene XL on all my reels.

This past year Bass Pro put a new store in my area. This spring I bought 3 1000' spools figuring I would need it. I still had line from last year. I don't keep line more than 3 years, even if has never been out of the package. Call me crazy, but line is cheap when compared to a lost fish of a lifetime, or if that Big Fish can win you $180.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!