Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Adventures of OSS & RON'S first RIGGIN' Trip ( a must read)

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Adventures of OSS & RON'S first RIGGIN' Trip ( a must read)

Okay I admit I am not a big fan of riggin, and kept looking for a positive for it, other than it puts lots of fish in the boat, well I don't want a lot of fish, I want 6.... then it hit me, you get to sit all day, now there is a positive, so decide to give it a try, got enough 10' rods to start with, yes 8 of them (bad idea).. build a nifty little rod holder, and buy a dual seat set up, well one of them ezt set ups... new line on all the rods and double jigs on everyone of them (another bad idea), we don't use minners...... can't affoard them. so we get to bucksaw and go up a bit and find some nice looking stuff in 15' fow, so we set up all 8 rods and set them for mostly 10' deep, we trolled around for a little over 2 hours and not one hit, thinking of the positive, we didn't lose any jigs and didn't get hung up and no fish to clean.... always with the positive...look at watch and it is just a tad past 9 am, way to early to head in, so bright brain me says lets try a little shallower (another bad idea), so I get us into some 5' water and the nice little riggin trip went to hell in about 10 min.... Ron had about 3 of his 4 rods bounce with fish at the same time, now here is learning curve #1 don't jerk hard on 10' ers with only 3-4' of line out, Ron grabs one and misses the crappie, well those jigs went straight up almost out of sight, but what goes up must come down, yep right down on another rod and wrapped about a 1000 times around it, well there goes 2 rods down, we don't do tangles, we cut...now learning curve #2 when in lots of fish put up most of the rods, I couldn't move the boat a foot or two and at least one of them rods would have a hit on it and you guessed it, didn't take long before too many hits and another wrap up, 2 more rods down......getting us down to 4 rods helped and we ended up catching about 40 keepers in just over 2 hours, nothing real big just nice eaters and kept 8 ea... thinking I am going home with 4 down and 4 still ready, and then Ron catching his normal drum every trip he hooks a gar about 2' long, man glad I had the sense to grab the other rods and get them up and out of his way.....learning curve #3 , go on weekdays when no one is around to witness all of this...... positive side was we sit and weren't worn out..... now we leave and headed home and Ron has to spout off and tell me..... well at least I didn't lose one jig today...... hell no turkey them were all my rods and jigs..... so if you want any lessons you just follow old Ron and Me around and we will have you up to pro status in no time at all.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Funny! Nice boat.
    The fishing was so good I thought it was yesterday

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't get past that part where I get to hit you after 6 fish! Any room tomorrow ???

Post Thanks / Like

I was just tickled to death to get home with 3 rods still rigged out of 8...... and I know buckwheat hates me, he give me about half this stuff to get me started.......Bill with broken ribs you couldn't take 10 min. of being in the same boat as us two knuckle heads.......

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. How does it go about old dogs and new tricks. I just thought about the difference between now and 3-4 years ago with you and Ron. Winter time fisherman with a shiny aluminum tread plate cab on your boat for the cold runs to your honey hole. 5' rods and a blue/white jig super glued to a jig head. Now look at you two. 10' rods, spider rig racks, double seats and no cab anymore. Must have sold the cab to pay for the new equipment. You two will enjoy the rigging even if not catching fish. Nice to sit side by side where you can hear each other talk with out yelling back and forth. Easier to drink coffe with out having to stand up. You cant feel the bite but when the fish go to biting it can still get real exciting real quick. I hope you guys enjoy it and don't let Ron catch to many on his new B'n'M.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish it would come out on VIDEO!

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna know who welded all that up for ya?
    Bulletman aka Tommy

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletman View Post
    I wanna know who welded all that up for ya?
    Looks like the holders need to be extended a little Monty. Getting them up higher will save having to bend over to grab a rod to set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

those are driftmasters 10" after pic was taken I raised them 5" to 14" and it works out just great...... Tommy I use a wood welder now...... and had to buy them seat holders....... but sure like them, but they will scoot a tad when trailering to the lake from the wind.. but no biggie...

Post Thanks / Like

Man Monty, I wish I could have watched that! Any admission price would be well worth it to watch someone else pull the stuff I do to myself so often.
    Thanks for the story!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast