Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer Crappie

ANy tips on fishing crappie in warm/hot weather. We've been fishing minnow under bobber and doing fairly well, but the recent heat has slowed our numbers. What are some good areas to fish in summer weather? Any tips on baits other than minnows? The lake we fish is loaded with rock cliffs as well as small coves.
    If anyone can give me an insight, I would greatly appreciate it!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of my previous "hot weather" Crappie fishing has been at Taylorsville Lake. There, I'd be launching the boat at first light ... making a milk run to several different spots over the course of the early morning hours. What I was fishing was blowdown trees, but they had to be on shady banks & they had to be sticking out into depths of >10ft of water. I'd cast jigs over/around the outer branches/trunk. I'd generally know if there were keeper fish in that tree, within the first 15mins of casting. No fish, or no keepers ... on to the next spot.
    Once the Sun got on the water above the tree, no more bites. They likely moved off the bank & out into the main water of the creek, or main lake, and suspended around drops or Shad schools. But, by that time (midday) it was usually getting pretty warm ... and I'd switch over to trolling for Hybrids (after a refreshing boat ride to cool off). I would still, occasionally, catch a Crappie while trolling a crankbait or jig.

If any of those cliffs, at your lake, has a large tree hanging down in the water .... try Vertical Casting down thru the main limbs. Crappie Pappy Article
    Back before I even knew about Crappie.com ... I used this technique on a large American Sycamore tree that hung off a cliff at Herrington Lake. I caught the biggest Crappie I've EVER caught from that lake, averaging close to 1.5lbs each, and I've fished that lake since I was a youngster.

You find shade, how deep the thermocline is (if present), and wood cover that extends up/down to the thermocline level ... there's likely to be some Crappie using it. And don't overlook bridge pilings, either. Carefully pitching a jig or float/minnow rig into/around a boat dock slip ... when shade is present ... is something else to consider.

... cp

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDArbaugh View Post
    ANy tips on fishing crappie in warm/hot weather. We've been fishing minnow under bobber and doing fairly well, but the recent heat has slowed our numbers. What are some good areas to fish in summer weather? Any tips on baits other than minnows? The lake we fish is loaded with rock cliffs as well as small coves.
    I saw in another post where you fish Grayson Lake. I've been thinking about trying that place for years. Ky. Afield had a good show on that lake. Sure looks like a pretty place with those rock bluffs. Went to camp Webb when I was a kid. Haven't been back in 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Grayson is where we have been going for a bit now. We've been fshing from a very small two man pelcan boat. So our area of travel is small. I am in the process of buying a used Ranger, so our options will grow soon. Grayson has been really good. Nothing really big this year. Caught a 14 in crappie last week. Mostly pulling out 5-6 inchers. Lots of smaller largemouth bass as well as some decent 12-14 in Hybrid Stripers. I have fished on and off my whole life. I am 27 now and am wanting to really learn the techniques for some great fishing. My grandpa, who always took me, fished mainly minnow under bobber or small jigs. All of this spider fishing, etc... talks have got my curious. Gonna be lots of learning to do.
    Maybe we can show ya around the lake when you come this way. Give me a heads up.
    Matthew 4:19- And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the channel drops.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDArbaugh View Post
    Just read your article. Awesome write up! I'll definately give this a try next trip out. What you say makes total sense and sound very effective.

So how do you select your color for the day? Our local crappie guide (pro) told me 6 primary colors to use on our lake so I can keep it simple. There are some brighter colors and natural colors. I assume natural for clear water and brighter colors for stained or off-color water correct? Any other tips on color selection for summer bass?

Also, what "weedless jighead" are you using? Everything I've seen are standard jigheads and none are weedless. I'm sure I can find something but I'm curious on what you recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to think I was a good fisherman, but it turns out I was just stubborn enough to catch fish.

I look forward to trying out this technique.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great article and is a technique I will try this weekend as the area lakes I fish are often augmented with man-made brush piles in anywhere from 5-15' of water in addition to natural blow-downs. I do have a couple of questions for you:

1. I assume the rod you use for this technique is light-medium-light with a fast tip, but what is your preferred length? In shallow water I assume it is important to put some distance between the fish and your boat.

2. Are you simply using a jig, or do you ever try a drop-shot with this technique?

Thank you in advance,

Joe

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, guys ... I've neglected to come back to this thread for some time. I assume the questions about "article" & "weedless jigs" was directed towards me ... so I will follow up on these questions :

(to OA)
    I've been using weedless jigheads for decades, but most recently (last 12 years or so) I've been using a weedless jighead made by site member "Grousefly". I had him make 1/32 & 1/16oz ballhead jigs with a #2 Aberdeen hook, and the Y weedguard (also some with the fiber brush style weedguard). They look like this:

Top jig is the fiber brush style, and can be found on store shelves (but usually with a smaller hook). The bottom jig is the Y guard version, and it's a plastic Y inserted into the ballhead that results in a V shaped guard over the hook point.
    The Y guard jig got so popular that some of the other jig making members started making them !!

Color choice, for me, depends on water clarity ... but, since most of the lakes I fish are "stained" (green looking water, with <2ft visibility on a clear/calm day) then I mostly use color combos that are contrasting. That's usually a blue, or green, with a chartreuse tail or belly. When those fail, I usually go to reds/purples w/chartreuse ... or very faint greens or purples with a clear belly.

(& just in case the question about "summer bass" was not a misprint ... I have my best luck with red crankbaits & green plastic craws, fishing at night)

(to Joe)
    Yes, you are correct .. I currently use a 6'6" ESP Powerlite rod. But, I have used rods from 5' to 8' when Vertical Casting ... ranging from UL to Med. Vertical Casting only requires a rod length that is sufficient to reach the target area .... not any specific power or rating.
    I don't really use this technique for "shallow" water (<10ft to bottom), as I have 9' & 10' rods that I could use for normal "vertical jigging". Chances are, though, that I'd be staying off away from those shallow areas & casting to them, using lighter weight jigs or Roadrunners. And, if I absolutely had to, I'd put a jig under a float and cast/pitch to those areas.

I've never actually used an actual Drop Shot rig, or the method, so I can't comment on how that setup or technique would work with the Vertical Casting method. Personally, I think they're incompatible ... since the Drop Shot method is mostly a stationary, weight on bottom jigging method, whereas the Vertical Casting technique is a drop & slow retrieve, bottom to surface method.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

CP, Thanks for the tips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast