Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good crappie line

Post Thanks / Like

Default good crappie line

what would you guys suggest for a good 4lb fishing line. i got a new real and i'm tired of line twist.

thanks!
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like Ande Premium in Envy Green - http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults,

I use 6-pound for vertical jigging. It's very durable line and holds up well in the sun, which is important to me because I'm on the water nearly every day and some lines get brittle fast when they're in the sun very long.

Any line is going to get "line twist" if:

1) Your bait or lure is rotating on retrieve (or descent while vertical jigging).

2) You are catching fish that are continually pulling your drag and/or you're continuing to reel when the drag is slipping (open or closed face spinning reel) .

3) You pull out line by using the drag instead of opening the bail (open face spinning reel) or pushing the button (closed face spinning reel) or pulling the trigger (under-spin spinning reel).

Every time your drag is working (line coming off the spool as it rotates instead of spooling off) on any type of spinning reel your line is getting twisted.

All three problems can be corrected by eliminating the cause or by stopping your retrieve just as your bait or lure comes out of the water and holding it there for a few seconds until it stops unwinding before retrieving it on up to the position you have it in when you cast.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

P-Line is the best line on the market for crappie fishing...........

Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Trilene XL has worked best for me on 4 pound test. Very little trouble. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have a reel that doesn't like 4# test line too. I dropped down to 2# no more problems. Longer cast too. Just have to play the fish a little more careful...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

#4 Gamma or sufix promix
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not move up to the 6lb and use the wally marshall high vis line. I used to use 4lb spider wire, and after losing enough crappie even while I'm setting the hook I gave up on it. I would not trust the 4lb line to hold up with the fish that we have been catching on truman. With smaller crappie, 8 to 10" I'd probably trust it, but anything bigger, forget it.

just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Trilene XL is an excellent line to use for casting and my favorite for jigging is Stren Hi-Vis Yellow in 8lb. test.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I started using Trilene Sensation and really like it.High visability and good strength.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Also when putting your line on a spinning reel lay spool flat on floor and wind about 15-20 cranks on the reel then open the bail and pull acouple loops off.If it twists when removed flip the spool of line over and continue spooling like that.It will eliminate line twist in the first place thus making it almost nonexistant later on unless trolling.
    I was ta:D ught that by my grandad and it works great for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast