Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you all use for boat cleaners?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you all use for boat cleaners?

My boat has an extensive amount of lake scum(milfoil and lotsa iron looking brown color) on it.I'm looking for a boat cleaner,but don't know what kind to look for?

Is it a cleaner/and wax product I'm looking for?

The motor also is looking kinda rough too.

I've contemplated pressure washing it,than doing a full new paint job....
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 09-15-2006 at 07:05 AM.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

We use Star-Brite Boat Wash, available at WalMart and KMart on both our two man boat and canoe. Does a great job. If the boat is especially grungy, we use it with the low pressure wand of our electric pressure washer. - It's also biodegradable, so it leaves no harmful residue on the boat. -Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

A chemist at work says to pull the boat out and while it is still wet spray it with vinagar,take it to a pressure wash,car wash .

I done this to a new fiberglass boat I had docked and it done a good job

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a product called Zing that will take the water deposits and the stain off your boat.Its an acid, so youll probably hav eto get it off a marine dealer.We use it to do all our bottom cleans, and our water is some of the hardest around.Once you get it clean a good wax will help prevent future build up.
    One little note on using the zing, dont use it in the yard, itll kill the grass, keep the hose handy, water will dilute it,and dont put it on any black plastic because it will turn it white.Motor cowlings are fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a mix of bleach and water (stronger mix than other stuff) to spray on that yuck and then it will clean off. Also you the interior if you get a little mold water and 10% bleach will do the trick. Also used a power washer after the bleach mixture was on for a few minutes.

I am thinking that I have used the product Roberta brought up (Star-Brite).

The the best wax/polish you can get for the bottom and outer shell after you get the gunk off.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its against the law to clean a fishing boat in Va. I have used a pressure washer on it a few times.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Been There

Is this an aluminum boat? There is a product called Toon Bright that I used to remove two years worth of that stuff off a pontoon boat. It didn't hurt the paint on my trailer. I pressure washed it first. They have one formula for aluminum and one for fiberglass.
    I just did a major clean up on this boat. I shared all I leraned in a thread titled "Green Stuff" just a couple of weeks ago. I had lots of advice from others that may help you too.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy's dad used to have a cabin cruiser. When it got slimy they would run it along a sand bar and get the stuff off. Lazy, but effective. They weren't too concerned about the paint on the bottom obviously. The motor they would just spray with a bleach/vinegar mix and use a long handle brush. Probably against the law, but fortunately they only did this twice in 5 years. Then sold the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an 16' aluminum boat.The scums been on there for about 5 years now.Don't know why I left it in this state so long...I guess laziness, or just to busy.I got some time to do it now,and I thank everyone for their advice.:D
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Try any product with oxylic acid.

"Sno Bol" toilet bowl cleaner
    "The Works" tub and shower cleaner

Try a very small area first. Apply with a sponge, let it sit a few minutes and hose it off. Do not get it on your hands.
    Last edited by HOTSPOT; 09-15-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast