Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Lurleen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Lurleen

I will be staying in Tuscaloosa at Lurleen Wallace State park week after next. I am curious if anyone has information on what I might expect to catch and how. Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that there is a big population of crappie there, but have never had enough time to fish there to figure out their patterns. I have seen some good catfish pulled out of the lake as well, and some nice bream. Wish that I could be of better help. Jay Haffner, the fisheries biologist in that district of alabama, is a wealth of information and a very nice guy. I have talked to him a few times about this and that, and he was always extremely helpful and willing to take time to talk. I'm sure you can find a number for his office online, which is on hwy 82 in northport on the way to lake lurleen from tuscaloosa.

Post Thanks / Like

May carry my gear and try it in the afternoons while my youngun' is at youth football camp.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a ton wahanlin. My two boys will be at football camp also.

Post Thanks / Like

What ages and positions? Mine is 12 and Oline.

Post Thanks / Like

10 yr old LB
    13 yr old DB

Post Thanks / Like

Either of yall have any luck? Sorry I couldn't be more help, only fished a couple times there. Its very scenic though isn't it

Post Thanks / Like

Will not be down there til next week. I will admit as it is getting warmer and as my lazy factor rises I will most likely watch practice and hit the Indian, bbq and pizza joints. Besides it is like going to Hollywood for a football fan as you never know who you will run into down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Won't be there until Sunday. Will update.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck to yall, I may be moving back down that a way myself before too long for work and will have to get better at lake lurleen. Yes there are indeed a lot of good restaurants and always some interesting people watching in tuscaloosa. One restaurant I like a lot is KSV. It is a soul food joint which is in west tuscaloosa, but is well worth the drive. I also used to fish under the Oliver Dam, also in west tuscaloosa just a few minutes from downtown. There is a public pier there right in the tailrace of the dam, and I bet that there is great catfishing at least this time of year, providing they aren't pulling so much water through there you can't keep your bait still.