Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grenada Lake in March

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada Lake in March

Thinking about making the 9-10 hour drive down to Grenada Lake in mid-March to try our luck crappie fishing. Will be taking boat, but need info on places to stay and some areas to try for crappie. We mainly troll jigs, but can cast if we have to. I know spring time weather plays a major role in crappie movements, etc, but will it be worth my time making this trip? Have week booked at Reelfoot Lake in April so March or May would be the time I can go. Any web sites where I can find info or any / all info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. "Thanks"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Larry C.

How's it going Larry. Hope you remember who this is. Met you in Louisville at the sports show. Anyway, you gonna do Reelfoot again, good. You do that every year don't you?

Don't know too much about Grenada, but if you're going to drive 9-10 hours, you might as well add a couple more and go to Hamilton or Greeson in Central Arkansas. Links are on my website (click below) and if you decide to go, I'll see what I can do to point you in the right direction on the lake. There are bunches of resorts and places to stay in Hot Springs.

If you're just looking for a different place to fish and camp, you can tryout Lakes Poinsett and Charles here in northeast arkansas close to my home. Those links are on the website too. Both are only about 1.5 hours west from Reelfoot. There are usually a dozen or more seniors who camp at Charles each spring for 4-6 weeks straight. Nice folks. Descent crappie too.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes, I Do

Darryl,

Yes I remember you..My wife really enjoyed that Crappie Flippin Stick I got her for Valentine's Day at the boat show. She caught some pretty nice crappie on it at Reelfoot, too. Glad you posted to my thread; beginning to think nobody was going to reply to it.

We met a couple of "old sailors" from Mississippi at Pigeon Forge, Tn over Veteran's Day week and I asked them about Grenada and the hugh crappie being caught there. They said if I ever got the chance, I had to come down one spring and try my luck. That's why I made the post. I e-mailed the PR Dept at Grenada, Ms and they are sending me some info I asked for.

I really missed going to the TeeZur event this year. Missed seeing all you guys and talking crappie fishing. I need to call Jackie and order some more jigs for next year. Jerry Blake told me last year to give your great state a try for crappie. There's just something about catching a limit of 2 - 3 lb Ms crappie that appeals to me.

"Thanks" for your reply. I bookmarked your web site. I'll try to do a better job of keeping in touch with you. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Default me too

i'm looking for some information on grenada in march as well. we prefer trolling jigs or side pulling minnows if necessary, but will do about anything to catch fish. are there any places to stay on the lake? can you rent boat slips at the lake? what about bait shops and grocery stores. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to go to Grenada in March, make it towards the end of March. This lake is full of 2.5 and 3 pound crappie. I go down there every year and spider rig in 1.5 to 3 foot of water and have a ball. You won't catch big numbers of crappie, but the ones you catch will be wall hangers.
    There are no marinas on this lake. You would have to stay at a motel in Grenada unless your a camper. There are a few camp grounds around the lake.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Thanks" Richard

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the info. We're talking about the 3 week of March as I have Reelfoot Lake scheduled on the 10th of April. We troll jigs so if the crappie are moving up in the creeks, we should be able to catch a few early crappie. Maybe the weather (winter) will break early and put the fish on the move. I read where Capps and Coleman had 10 that weighed 25 lbs to win a tournment this year. I've never fished where the fish are that big so that's why we're thinking about going down there. Planning on staying a week so we can enjoy the trip. Do you know a guide down there that I can contact? I really appreciate your taking the time to post a reply.

Post Thanks / Like

abarkley, did a quick google search www.grenadamississippi.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    If you plan to go to Grenada in March, make it towards the end of March. This lake is full of 2.5 and 3 pound crappie. I go down there every year and spider rig in 1.5 to 3 foot of water and have a ball. You won't catch big numbers of crappie, but the ones you catch will be wall hangers.
    There are no marinas on this lake. You would have to stay at a motel in Grenada unless your a camper. There are a few camp grounds around the lake.

i doubt we'll camp. do you just take your boat to the motel where you stay?we're planning the last week in march unless the weather doesnt cooperate. are there some large shallow flats to troll? i read about the size of grenada crappie and that's whats bringing us over that time of spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Capps & Coleman won with 10 fish that went 25.86 pounds. Ed and I had almost 19 pounds and only got 17th place. There were 13 teams that had over 20 pounds for 10 fish. Grenada is a fantastic lake for BIG crappie. Russ and I are going to do a show down there the last week in March.
    The Graysport area is a good place to start. That is where I always fish. There are a lot of people that wade on that lake. But I really like spider rigging in 1.5 to 3 foot of water. Get a 2.5 pounder running with your jig with only 18 inches of line out of a 10 or 12 foot pole, and the fight is on. Send me an email and I will give you the name and number of a guide down there.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I looked up that lake and that Graysport area on my Garmin Mapsource FHS map of Lake Grenada in MS. Man that lake sure is shallow up in the graysport area.

Most of that area is only 4ft deep. Never have been to that lake.

I am lucky to have a topo map of the lake though so at least I can see what you guys are talking about. It must be good if Richard Leaves KY lake in March to fish it. While Richard is down at Grenada I will be at KY Lake on West Sandy fishing with Cane Pole.

Sounds like they have some huge crappie in that lake. Do the slabs hang around the edge of the river channel or go all the way out onto the big flats to spawn at that time of the year. I would think that they would spawn in March down that far South. April on KY lake and March in the very south.

What is the water temp on that lake in that area in late March? Does the water temp get into the uppers 60's at that time of the year sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    Yes, Capps & Coleman won with 10 fish that went 25.86 pounds. Ed and I had almost 19 pounds and only got 17th place. There were 13 teams that had over 20 pounds for 10 fish. Grenada is a fantastic lake for BIG crappie. Russ and I are going to do a show down there the last week in March.
    The Graysport area is a good place to start. That is where I always fish. There are a lot of people that wade on that lake. But I really like spider rigging in 1.5 to 3 foot of water. Get a 2.5 pounder running with your jig with only 18 inches of line out of a 10 or 12 foot pole, and the fight is on. Send me an email and I will give you the name and number of a guide down there.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast