Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stan Coffin Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stan Coffin Lake

A bunch of us went to Stan Coffin Lake last weekend and fished for bluegills. That's a small desert lake in central Washington, that was gouged out by the pre-historic flood of Lake Missoula. We all camped at the Oasis RV park in Ephrata, Washington for the weekend and had a potluck on Saturday night. Jeff & I in my boat caught about 60 bluegills, 4 small bass & one perch. We were mostly trolling an X-Caddis fly, behind a floating fly line, and there were times we didn't have time to get our lines out before we hooked up again. We had doubles so many times that we lost count. That's my kind of fishing. I'm already looking forward to next year's trip. We try to go every year the weekend after Mother's Day.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun trip and a great place to fish.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

How were the weeds there? Last time I was there I remember it being hard even to row a pontoon because of the weeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter223 View Post
    How were the weeds there? Last time I was there I remember it being hard even to row a pontoon because of the weeds.
    sharpshoooter223,
    Last year we had the same problem so this year I emailed the WDFW first to ask about the weeds. They said there was a problem with the run-off system from the surrounding area drainage. As I recall, they said that the drainage had to be slowed to do some repairs to the system. As you may or may not know, Stan Coffin is a part of the Winchester Waiste Water system. With the flow slowed down as much as it was, the water level at the lake was so low that the weeds surfaced and navigation was all but impossible. This year they told me that if we were there by the middle of May we wouldn't have any problem, and in fact the water level was up so high that the so called weed island at the west end was all but gone. There were 2 (I think) areas where the weeds surfaced. One was about halfway up the lake on the north shore, and the other was just east of the big cove on the south shore. Now that June is almost upon us, I would email the Ephrata Gang of the WDFW and ask about the weeds before I go. Long story short; the weeds were not a problem this year in the middle of May.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners