Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Crappie weren't biting - but . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Crappie weren't biting - but . . .

I went to Tablerock Lake early, tried crappie fishing without success, and soon changed lures and techniques. So - no crappie today but I ended up settling for these fish: a 21" Largemouth, two 18" Largemouths, a 16 1/2" Largemouth, an 18" Smallmouth, three good White Bass, and a big Bluegill. Plus, about ten 14" largemouth bass I threw back - then I went home at 1 p.m.!

That trip was a nice change of pace, and I wish I'd been in a big-money bass tournament for this one. All of today's fish were caught with the same 8-lb. P-Line CX that I used last week crappie fishing at Watts Bar in the Spring Fling (where Gerald C. and I came in third). That's a good fishing line, in my opinion. It's small diameter and works well for crappie, and will still pull big bass out through the brush like this morning.

We'll be having Bass filets for supper tomorrow. Not as good as Crappie filets, but I'm sure not complaining about today's trip! - Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Crappie15 Guest

Those are some nice bass you have there, Sam! I bet they put up a heck of a fight.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam, How's the memory on the P line? Congratulations on your 3rd place at the Spring Fling. You & Gerald knocked Killer out in the first round.....lol......I think Blackie & I are going to start his Fall Brawl training a little earlier than planned. We will have him dialed in for the Brawl....Take care & tell JoAnn hello....

PS: How is your boat working after the upgrades this winter? It looked great!!!
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Ok Donald .....

You and Blackie just leave Killer alone ... you got him so riled up and anxious to catch a boatload at the Fling, that he caught out all his honey holes BEFORE the tournament. Well, that's his story ... and he's stickin to it

I think Paul and I finished in 6th place - just because you and Blackie didn't fish this one .... (THAT'S MY story, and I'M STICKIN TO IT :p )

I guess I'm going to have to pay Don Y to take me out on a "guided" trip - shooting docks ... maybe then I'll know where some of these "infamous" Slab hotels are REALLY located !! (like anyone would really tell me .... LOL!!) ....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default P-Line, Boat, etc.

Thanks, fellas. Those bass did put up a heckuva fight.

Don G. - Yes, the P-Line does have some memory, and that's the only negative I have found with it. A few times during each trip it will throw some loops off a spinning reel spool. That's nothing I can't deal with, but it can be a nuisance. Except for that, I like everything about P-Line a LOT.

Our win in the Spring Fling was entirely due to Gerald. He had a spot scoped out ahead of time and if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have caught many. I couldn't tell anyone where that spot is if I wanted to, I'm still pretty lost when it comes to Watts Bar. Luckily for me, Gerald took me there and pointed me in the right direction.

The boat works great since the modifications. It's sure nice to have a place for everything and all the tackle stored out of the way. Now, I'm only dissatisfied with my outboard motor. I have a 40 horse Johnson which does O.K. but it's 2-stroke of course, hard starting, rough idling, and kind of noisy. Every time I fish with Gerald I admire his 4-stroke 40 horse Yamaha motor. That Yamaha compares with my motor like a new Cadillac with an old Model A. Maybe one of these days I can switch motors. - Sam

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    You and Blackie just leave Killer alone ... you got him so riled up and anxious to catch a boatload at the Fling, that he caught out all his honey holes BEFORE the tournament. Well, that's his story ... and he's stickin to it

I think Paul and I finished in 6th place - just because you and Blackie didn't fish this one .... (THAT'S MY story, and I'M STICKIN TO IT :p )

I guess I'm going to have to pay Don Y to take me out on a "guided" trip - shooting docks ... maybe then I'll know where some of these "infamous" Slab hotels are REALLY located !! (like anyone would really tell me .... LOL!!) ....cp
    Cp, Blackie & I went down the Tuesday after the SF and fished a day and 1/2 and caught 23. I don't know what is going on this year. Blackie has a picture of me half way in the Silo at Blue Springs. I caught 2 but it was touch and go getting the net in the same hole. Those were the only 2 we caught in that area. We did ok at the dock I told you about at Terrace View. Did you catch any there at the SF? We are going down in early Fall and search for new holes.

Take care and tell Paul hello!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: Where did you park at Terrace View. They have done a beautiful job in remodeling but I haven't seen a place to park....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day