Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we use red ear sunfish heads for catfish bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can we use red ear sunfish heads for catfish bait?

Caught some redears over the weekend. We kept the heads after cleaning the fish. Stuck them in ziplock bags and stuck in freezer. Want to know if it is legal to use them for catfish bait this summer. Looked in the book but couldn't find anything specific about it. If not will toss them out for buzzards or critters.

Post Thanks / Like

we use all parts of the pearch, I always thought it was ok to use as long as the bait was not classified as game fish, like crappie,bass walley and the like.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. Just wanting to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can. I use em all the time, live for flatheads. if a sunfish is over 5 inches long it must be caught with a pole and line (not in a cast net or perch trap) and used toward your daily limit.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely caught with rod and reel. those guys can put up a fight for the size they are. Want to use some of them this summer fishing over night. The big problem will be the gars.

Post Thanks / Like

What!! You can't use Crappie as bait? Since when?
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
    What!! You can't use Crappie as bait? Since when?
    no and you knew that, be nice

Post Thanks / Like

But, Everharts uses em as bait. Most of the $$ they take from me is for Crappie, therefore they use Crappie as bait.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Redear sunfish are not “game fish” in Missouri and therefore are in the “other fish” category. As the rule below states, Redear sunfish can be used as bait. Number 2 (#2) of this rule, which I left out for brevity, describes the methods and seasons allowed in different areas throughout the state. If you’re catching by pole and line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line, or jug line then you are probably ok, but it’s worth reading the Code specific to your area.

3 CSR 10-6.550 Other Fish(1)Daily limit: The daily limit for fish, other than those species listed as endangered in 3 CSR 10-4.111 or defined as game fish, is fifty (50) in the aggregate, if taken by pole and line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line, jug line, or underwater spearfishing. The daily limit if taken by gig, atlatl, bow, crossbow, snaring, snagging, or grabbing is twenty (20) in the aggregate. Bighead carp, common carp, goldfish, grass carp, and silver carp may be taken and possessed in any number.

(3)Fish taken under this rule may be used as bait; except that bowfin, or parts thereof (including eggs), may not be used as bait.

Daniel Schepis
    Conservation Agent - Clay Co, MO
    Date: 31May13 @ 1342
    **This is not a complete replication of the Wildlife Code of Missouri

Post Thanks / Like

Questions, is there a size limit on bluegills or redear sunfish that can be used for bait caught on rod & reel? I thought I mave have read 2 years ago that the lenght limit was changed to 5 inches?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast