Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Handheld GPS

How many of you use inexpensive hand hled gps's. Which one would you reccommed, wal-mart has a magellan for like $99.

Thanx
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Lowrance H2O and love it.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    How many of you use inexpensive hand hled gps's. Which one would you reccommed, wal-mart has a magellan for like $99.

Thanx
    I have a Garmin XL12 that they don't make any more. No trouble with service though. I paid about 325 for it years ago and it seems like comparable models have fallen quite a bit these last few years. I like it for its portability being able to move from boat to boat to the woods etc. Not very much up on the new models but it would seem like the brand names would be nice to stick with. The more satts. you can pick up the more accurate fixes you can get. Don't get a lot of hours out of my model but these new electronics are using less all the time. Just don't do like I did and leave the batts in the one you get. Mine corroded up and I had to have Garmin replace it.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what you intend on using it for. Finding structure that you have marked and returning to it or really doing some serious navigating like following tracks you have already made. I have a Magellan Meridian Gold and like it a lot. I think you can get them at Wal-Mart for about 199 and can even find them cheaper on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug got a Garmin Etrex Legend for his birthday last month and is still figuring out all the options. He uses it for hike patrol and sometimes when we're fishing. It will take 500 waypoints and it was pretty cool using it when going back to the marina last Saturday. I think it also has a cord for dowloading maps off the computer. He'll have to try that at work. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I have a Garmin E-Tex Legend also and it seems to do a good job in the boat, in the truck, and in the woods.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Found A Bargain??

I asked this question in the "Crappie Camp" thread. Darrel and Jerry both recomended the Garmin map76. The best price I found was a little under $200 at chetcomarine.com. I too don't know beans about a GPS. but, I am assuming they could be like cell phones and the more expensive ones have a bunch of stuff I will never use.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure and get a GPS that is WAAS enabled if you're going to use it for getting back on brushpiles or other underwater cover that you can't see from the surface.

Discount GPS has the Map 76 for 185 bux - http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=638. You have to click on "Click for Your Price" to see the discounted price.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I got a garmin geko(99bucks) a couple of years ago and i don't recomend it to anyone, it doesn't work well in the woods, and most of the time the accuracy is about 35 feet, not very good. and sometimes when you tell it to "go to" it sends you the opposite direction. My buddy has a e-trex for the same money that works way better, it has the backtracking thing and always points you in the right direction.
    If you aren't wanting to spend more than a hundred on one, The E-trex is the one I would recomend. But you really are better off saving a little longer and getting one for two hundred or better.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Lowrance ifinder GO and it has took some time to figure it out, but I think I'm going to like it. It traces your trail and you can set a waypoint for your favorite fishing spots. $80 at Bass Pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast