Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about "superlines"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curious about "superlines"

besides giving you 10# test in 2# diameter and exacting a hefty toll on one's wallet what benefit other than strength do superlines yield? Also does anyone here swaer by 'em or hate'em for crappie fishing (exclusively even though you might run into a LMB, CF, or 'gill)? I was curious b/c I'll need to re-spool here before too long and wondered if it's worth the $$ and effort. I'm used to using spiderwire EZ cast mono on every rod I own so bear that in mind if you have any experience changing between similar lines to 'superline". Thanks!

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the super lines and don't like the visability. I think with crappie that eliminates them especially in clear water. Take a look at Sufix promix or Gamma copolymers. With clear lines so tough why use superlines. Also check these out. I'm not sure they are available yet but they look great. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpure...nepreview.html I'd think the Fireline Crystal line might be just what your looking for, but I'm interested in the Berkley Maxx.

------------------

Just checked they are available - http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...ilament%20Line

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...395&id=0041307

Its expensive though
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 09-12-2006 at 01:56 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish as much as I can for Walleye, the lakes we fish have alot of lumber in them. Instead of tying a new jig on every snag (which happens alot) the super line allows you to work the jig out or that expensive rapala. The few extra dollars I have spent on super lines has saved me 10 times the money in lures I would have lost. Fireline crystal is excellent also take a look at Power Pro...very nice line http://www.powerpro.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I have NEVER thought that a crappie is line shy. I can't think of how many times a crappie would have to be caught and released to realize that a small line attached to a jig with, who knows what color of body, not to hit it. Of course I don't fish gin clear water. I have been using the Power Pro line that is 10lb strenght,2lb size for 3 years. To me it is cheaper to use. I use to respool before every tourney. Use that line for prefishing and respool for the next tourney. I was using 1000 of yards of mono each season. With the Power Pro line,,,I NEVER change it. I only put on maybe 50yds on the spool. I spool mono on it first, the top it off with the Power Pro. I use the hi-vis yellow. All knots seem to work too. You'll feel the lightest of bites because there is no stretch. Also there is no line memory. The ONLY problem I have with it, it does wind-rapp around the tip of the rod at times. It has NEVER worn rod guides or reels. I have my drags loose enough that when I set the hook, it gives a little. I'll get more jigs back to make up for any more cost of the line. I have landed hybird bass up to 8lbs with it not to mention the catfish that has straighten out hooks. Buy a spool of it and you'll see the difference. A 150 yd spool will cost $12 and set up 3 reels. Get a good pair of sissors to cut it. Don't rap it around your hand to pull it outa a snag,,it will cut you. I use a rag, steady pull and it will bend the hook and free it, unless it it rapped around a limb. I know there will be a lot of fisher disagree with this but, this is what I have experience these years of using it. I won't spool anything else on my reels. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the power pro.I run power pro on everything except my open water trolling rods.For straight line fishing you cant beat its sensitivity.I personally run the flour. yellow for crappie you can really watch the line, and like mentioned before you get snagged pop the rod straighten the hook and go again.If you gin clear water add a fluorocarbon leader.Personally we dont have that clear of water to worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro and have some of the new Spider Wire coming both in Hi Vis Yellow and don't have any trouble catching fish. However is you don't like the visibility of them, then Fire Line is out with their new Crystal and it's a clear Braid.

One of the biggest advantages other than bending hooks when you hang up so you can get your jig back, there is so much more feel with braid. There is no stretch, no memory, and can feel so much better. I can't think of any reason not to use braid.

One other thing, yes it's costly, but you only put of 40-50 yards and keep mono on under it as a filler. Besides braid will turn on your spool if you don't have mono on under it. After is fades just take it off and turn it around and real it back on with a new end which was the end on your spool before. This cuts down the cost a lot.

One other thing, something has to give so make you drag a little less with braid because the braid is not going to give at all. Maybe even a less stiff rod too.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Fishingdad

Here's my take on superlines. I've tried them off and on for a good many years now.

There is a learning curve switching from mono. Superlines do not fish like mono. Plus they have their own little quirks that can be annoying until you get use to them.

Benefits are:

Very sensitive
    Abraision resistent in weeds, wood
    Not affective by line twist
    Small diamater
    Casts farther
    Lasts much much longer

Downside

Can bury itself on spool
    Affected by the wind durning a cast
    Floats on the surface (I really dislike this trait for surface lures)
    Easier for the fish to see, but harder for you to see
    May unhook at the point of tie in on lures
    May not break at the knot if you have to break off
    Expensive compared to mono for the initial cost

I use them still, but they will never replace the mono that makes up 95 percent of my fishing line.

Give them a try and see how well you like them.

BB

Post Thanks / Like

I fish power pro almost exclusivley. My biggest complaint is the bow in the line when you cast them in a Kansas wind. You can't cast them out and bring them straight back across structure on a windy day.

Post Thanks / Like

Power pro is too 'fuzzy' to cast light jigs or fish with a wind. I'll stick to pink fireline.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a dealer sell me a spool of Izorline after he bite on it and we then tried to break it with our hands, 8 lb. test, it is strong. I did a google and found this place that sells it. I'm sure there are more, but it is very strong and abrasive. I only have the clear and it is hard to see.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...RLINE-ILP.html
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast