Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Redear blues...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Redear blues...

So, the other day the wife and I took the boat out to the twin lakes, her for some reading...me for some fishing. Tossed out a few jugs and trolled around searching for some bluegill or crappie or whatever might be biting. After 3 hours of fishing and only a couple cats to show for it we pulled up near another boat and asked how they were doing....their response was the same as mine would have been...."got a few". I asked if they wanted the cats I had and they said sure. When the guy opened his livewell I saw a redear the size of a mini basketball floating in there with many more underneath. (first lesson from this is, if you are going to lie about how the fishing is.....keep the livewell closed! ha ha) Well, I trolled around a bit (we went away from them....I hate it when someone comes in and sets up right on top of me) and tried to mimic what they were doing but all I could muster was one small bluegill. So, now I am asking you guys......whats your advice on redear fishing? Not looking for your super secret spot or anything. Just looking for general info on what kind of structure is appealing to them...is Barkley or Kentucky the better choice, etc etc. I have caught them before, but always when bluegill fishing...I have never targeted them specifically. Any help would be great!
    Chris

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pea gravel to sandy bottom. 5-10 feet of water (I'm not talking about your boat sitting in 10 feet--I'm talking your bait landing in 10 feet), use a drop shot rig with no bobber, put a piece of crawler or redworm on the hook and just go prospecting. Fan cast a good looking area good. If you catch a couple of redears and they quit biting, go find another similar place then come back to check out the bite every hour or so. It is highly unlikely you will find a place where you can sit and catch a limit of redears at one time. They are very spooky and will shut down the bite, especially in clear to slightly stained water like we have right now.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I found them today. They were in about 6 inches of water on a mud bottom and fanning the beds. I tossed bits of nightcrawlers and crickets at them....under a cork and on the bottom....and nothing. I literally had the bait within millimeters of their noses on multiple occasions and they didn't so much as sniff it. At one point I look down by the boat and there was one right beside me....if I had a net I could have netted him! I did manage to catch a few crappie on a stake bed while bluegill fishing with nightcrawler, but that was the best I could do today. Maybe after the storm blows through they will be a bit more hungry.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Tiny hook. Light line. No weight.

Need finesse in shallow water.

Caught these Friday in a foot or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice man. There were some big ones in there but they just wouldn't bite. I considered going without weight, but wasn't sure how I was going to cast or even flip without more weight than just the worm. I was using a number 4 cricket hook. To be that close to so many nice fish and not be able to catch them was pure torture! Hopefully I can get them figured out before they move out and I miss my chance. On a side note, shouldn't the bluegill be spawning too? I always thought they spawned at the same time as the redear did. Bluegill I can catch....well at least I could catch them up in Southern Illinois.....so far these Kentucky fish are just a little different ha ha.
    Chris