Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fish size vs depth question

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish size vs depth question

I'm still new at crappie so I'm learnin here. Last night I tore the fish up with minnows. Water was 17' deep. Fish were biting fast about 2' up from bumping the bottom. But most of the fish were 7" or so. The size limit here is 8". Only got 11 fish over 8", out of probably 50 to 75 fish. I tried different depths, and the bite would come a lot slower up at about 8 to 10', but the ones caught there were bigger.
    Is it normal for bigger fish to be slightly higher? And is there anything I could do next time to try and hook into some heavier fish?
    And one more question, since those fish were biting around 15' deep, does that mean if I would have changed spots then the fish should be biting about 15' everywhere?

I appreciate any input.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

WC if you were anchored you may do better fishing the 25 to 30' depths but that doesn't mean you can't catch big crappie nightstalking in 17' depths. The bigger fish tend to stay out of the light. Try putting a lighted float on a couple of lines and throwing them away from your boat and away from the 'light ring' that your under water light makes. Use a adjustable float and set the bait a little above the depths the smaller fish are biting at. If the small fish are feeding at 15' depth set the float at 8' to 10'. I have had nights where the rods with the floats will out catch the tight lines in the light. Good luck and let us know if this helps you.

Stump.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great answer to my question. I've never had a need for lighted floats before, but I reckon I do now.