Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help picking a new bank rod...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help picking a new bank rod...

First I want to thank the admins for the approval of my membership. What I have going on is a rod replacement. My old bank fishing rod is an eagle claw 7ft fiberglass rod. This was a great rod as it had a limber tip for twitching corks above jigs w/o ripping the cork across the surface, but it also had pretty good backbone if I hooked a largemouth or walleye. I have been looking at the crappie wizard in 7.5ft, the quantum teaton trout rod, the bass pro crappie max, and the cabelas pro guide in 7ft med light. these are the only rods I have found in the 7ft range that come close. Are there any better rods that I am missing? There are not a lot of crappie rods in my area under 10ft. Your help is greatly appreciated.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb9374 View Post
    First I want to thank the admins for the approval of my membership. What I have going on is a rod replacement. My old bank fishing rod is an eagle claw 7ft fiberglass rod. This was a great rod as it had a limber tip for twitching corks above jigs w/o ripping the cork across the surface, but it also had pretty good backbone if I hooked a largemouth or walleye. I have been looking at the crappie wizard in 7.5ft, the quantum teaton trout rod, the bass pro crappie max, and the cabelas pro guide in 7ft med light. these are the only rods I have found in the 7ft range that come close. Are there any better rods that I am missing? There are not a lot of crappie rods in my area under 10ft. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Mike, since you mention "twitching corks" I would have to rule out my first pick of rod brands, and that would be the Norsemen Outdoors ESP ... since they have micro guides, and are not too user friendly with most slipfloat/bobberstop rigs. Of the ones you mention, I'm only familiar with the Crappie Wizard ... and even that was merely handling one of the originals (prior to them being commercially sold). I didn't care for the painted tip, but the guides & tip eye were plenty big enough for most any bobberstop to easily pass thru ... and it was light, but seemed to have decent backbone for a IM6 blank.

If you're going to purchase another reel, along with whatever rod you choose ... it might be a good idea to handle them, first, in the store if possible, just to make sure they balance well together. If you're going to keep/use the same reel that's on the Eagle Claw rod ... all the more reason to take it to a store where you can put it on the rod & test the balance. This is especially important if the rod has a fixed reel seat. If it's a Tenn handle style rod, then the reel can be moved to find the balance spot. Even UL outfits become cumbersome to fish with, if they're not balanced (tip heavy or handle heavy) as they tend to wear on your wrist/arm after a period of use.

Whatever you choose ... luck2ya !!

And Welcome to Crappie.com !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

BPS micro lite float n fly. Inexpensive and a great float twitching rod. I have several and use them for that very thing. Float n fly is a smallmouth technique, so the rod has good backbone. The tip has just the right mix of sensitivity and strength for long casts. I usually cast a double 1/16th oz jig rig with a small float.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What feelay said
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I actually ordered a 7ft sam heaton super sensitive rod. was told that it had a nice limber tip with good sized guides for bobber stops, and yet has the backbone needed incase the walleye or smallies come about. was I led towards a dead horse? I have been a bucketmouth fisherman and just now getting into the art of crappie. I alsways thought they were just a dumb panfish, which I now know to be false.

Post Thanks / Like

You would be better on the bank with a 9ft micro lite, in my opinion. The Heaton is a fine rod, though I never thought of them as a bank fishing rod. We tend to go for longer rods for all applications down here in the deep south.

Bass are easy to catch, but put up a big fight. Crappie are hard to catch but give up quickly once hooked. Many a "carp" fishermen have been stymied when they tried to switch over to crappie.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few 10 fters, but they become a hassle with the having the kids around on the bank. that's when I pull the shorter rod, cast the corks and wait. Or twitch the cork above a jig head and tube combo. its always produced good-great fish for me. there are so many techniques that I still learn about and want to try, but need the old go to ready J.I.C.
    The Heaton is on the wayso I guess no choice but to see what it does. if it's no good I guess I will be forced to buy another rod..Hate it when that happens..LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I would look at pro angler tackles rods too. Not sure if he has a 7 but I picked up a couple 8 footers and I love them for bank fishing and even vertical jigging. Ed is a good guy and stands behind his products too.