Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: educate me on props.........

Post Thanks / Like

Default educate me on props.........

bought a new to me bass boat on wed.....18ft with a 130hp johnson......top end is good......hole shot stinks.....unless i ease into it on take off the motor will rev and the boat stay nose in the air and going the same speed.....kinda like its doing a burn out for lack of better description......if I trim all the waydown and ease into itonce it starts to come down to plane i can lay into it and she shoots off nicely..........talked to a person who told me it could prob stand a different prop.....right now its justgot a 3 blade aluminum prop.......what should I look for in a prop to help not exp "the burn out effect" im getting on take off? I know zero about props so any education you can give would be awesome.....3 blade.....4 blade....pitch.....etc etc......thanks for any help and God bless

JGJ

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Would a dolphin fin help? Had a boat that wouldn't plane out without it.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can't plane good, you got too much pitch prop. If you reduce prop pitch, you will loose some top end. Each inch of pitch is roughly 300 rpm either way up/down in pitch.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

A whale-tail will help but it almost sounds like your prop is slipping on the hub. You should always be trimmed all the way down for a holeshot.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

By your statement it does not sound like you are trimming all the way down be fore take off? Am I reading that right? If so that may be your problem.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How many RPMs are you turning at WOT? Here is some good reading for you. About Boat and Marine Propellers (props)
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Trim tabs, jack plate, changing prop....there are all kind of things that can be done i think. I'm not an expert either, i would look for help on bass boat central for some extra advice to add with whatever you get from this thread. Good luck
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a prop repair shop, and lots of things could be wrong here, like stated maybe you aren't getting trimmed all the way down before trying to take off, if you are you could have a hub slipping ( which would be the easiest thing to fix and cheapest) now for some worse news, you say it is new to you, in other words a used boat and motor.... you could have a weak cylinder or power pack..... doubt that you have a spun hub, did the previous owner have a problem getting out of the hole?? good luck on what ever it turns out to be.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Would it slip only at a particular point during take off??......does fine all other times....
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    A whale-tail will help but it almost sounds like your prop is slipping on the hub. You should always be trimmed all the way down for a holeshot.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast