Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Berkley IronSilk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Berkley IronSilk

I was in BASS today and they had IronSilk on sale. 50% off. I ask the head of fishing and he said Berkley discontinued making it. If you like it you had better stockup. I bought the last 4 spools of 6# solar mint. Thats been my choice for the last few years.
    CVA62.....64-68

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for the update, crip47

I've used the 4# & 6# test, over the last two years ... and have found it to be "better" than the XT Solar. The XT was discontinued, and Iron Silk took its place (in the hi-vis green) ..... wonder what they're going to replace the Iron Silk with If they don't come out with a "hi-vis green" replacement line, I may have to look into Ande lines. .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guess I'll have to get some to hold for future use. It's the only line I've used for a couple of years and the solar mint is great. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

How well does that stuff cast? I have thought about trying it but don't know many people that use it for crappie.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Ironsilk Solar is good stuff, but for anyone who fishes very much at all, it becomes brittle very quickly. Jerry Blake introduced me to it a few years ago and it is very good line, but after just a little bit, it starts to get rough and break down aka break. If anyone says they have been using the same spool for over a month, that means that they don't fish very much, same with spiderwire or braid. FATBOY

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

I used it all last year and 1st part of this year,no problem maybe 50 or more trips.
    Last week I was retieing some leaders and 1 poles line kept breaking! I respooled it and all the rest were o.k?

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I quit using Iron Silk because of knot strength . No UV protection. I have been using Sufix Elite 8# HI-Vis Yellow for a couple of years and I like the way it handles on the long poles. Knot strength is great. Bought it at Gander Mountain in Paducah,Ky. Cabelas has it !

cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat600392&id=0030184119286a&navCount=2&podId=00301 84&parentId=cat600392&masterpathid=&navAction=pus h &catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=c at6 00392&hasJS
    Last edited by ifish; 09-12-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I've used the 4# & 6# test, over the last two years ... and have found it to be "better" than the XT Solar. The XT was discontinued, and Iron Silk took its place (in the hi-vis green) ..... wonder what they're going to replace the Iron Silk with If they don't come out with a "hi-vis green" replacement line, I may have to look into Ande lines. .... cp
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpure...nepreview.html

Looks like some killer lines they are coming out with this year. I may have to switch back to berkley if they are as good as they claim. I have been using Gamma line #4 and #6 tests and really like them as much as the Sufix Promix I like so well. The Gamma is even more limp than the sufix and as thin and strong, but costs quite a lot more.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried iron silk a few years back and wasn't impressed that much that I continued using it.

It didn't cast as well as comparable lines of the same lb. test. Although it is extremely abbraision resistent as claimed. I proved this to myself in my own tests that I did with lines of the same lb. test.

Mainly I used iron silk for stitching plastic worms and it held up extremely well for the constant bottom contact. If I didn't change line as often as I do (Every 3 to for trips, because of line twist mainly) I might of continued using it. I didn't see the benifits of it compared to the life expectency I was using it.

All in all it is a good line, But if berkley is DCing it there must be a good reason for doing so.

Buy up what you want, just keep it in a dark place.

BB