Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Cleaning

Just curious how most of you Kansans end up cleaning your fish. I mostly fish Hillsdale and they don't have a fish cleaning station (as far as I know).

I've always taken mine home and cleaned them there, but I've never been fond of that solution. I'd rather be done with getting dirty by the time I get home.

Don't shoot me for simply asking the question, but does anyone clean them on your boat at the lake and dump the remains in the water? Is that legal or considered littering? I can think of a lot of reasons why that would make people cringe, but the same thing is already happening naturally in the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

After a couple of guided striper trips in Arkansas where they cleaned the fish on the boat I posed the question to a game warden a couple of years ago, and his answer was it was absolutely not legal to clean the fish on the water in your boat. His explanation was that of not being able to determine length and possibly species (white bass or wiper for example) from the fillets. I see his point as valid. However, what is the difference in cleaning them at the cleaning stations they have on the docks? (i.e. Melvern) Remnants are already in the water by the time Mr Ranger shows up...no proof of lenght. All of this is compounded by the new regulations that all fish must be dead and water drained prior to leaving the lake/river. If this is going to be the regulation, in my opinion there better be legitimate fish cleaning stations at every lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PTShad View Post
    After a couple of guided striper trips in Arkansas where they cleaned the fish on the boat I posed the question to a game warden a couple of years ago, and his answer was it was absolutely not legal to clean the fish on the water in your boat. His explanation was that of not being able to determine length and possibly species (white bass or wiper for example) from the fillets. I see his point as valid. However, what is the difference in cleaning them at the cleaning stations they have on the docks? (i.e. Melvern) Remnants are already in the water by the time Mr Ranger shows up...no proof of lenght. All of this is compounded by the new regulations that all fish must be dead and water drained prior to leaving the lake/river. If this is going to be the regulation, in my opinion there better be legitimate fish cleaning stations at every lake.
    Exactly what we all feel is the general consensus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PTShad View Post
    When cleaning them on the water there is no chance for a warden to check species. At a cleaning station or dock they can check as the boat comes out or everyone that the station which they have done at Glen when I was there (not that they ever do that at most places).

We had to clean our fish last night at HD on the tailgate in parking lot. Most of the time we take them home but last night I didn't want guts laying around for 3 days in the heat... It would be nice if they built cleaning stations at all lakes but as always its a budget issue.
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ignisuti View Post
    Just curious how most of you Kansans end up cleaning your fish.
    I have no Idea how my wife does it

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw a guy at Truman with a good setup. He has an electric knife that runs on 12 volt (Rapala makes one) He keeps an old ironing board and a 5 gallon bucket in the truck. Throws the filets in a cooler and dumps the bucket of guts back in the lake.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

KAG you are awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigfisherx View Post
    Saw a guy at Truman with a good setup. He has an electric knife that runs on 12 volt (Rapala makes one) He keeps an old ironing board and a 5 gallon bucket in the truck. Throws the filets in a cooler and dumps the bucket of guts back in the lake.
    I've got something similar. I have a fillet knife that plugs into the accessory port on the boat or truck. Also have a small piece of plywood to clean them on. Going to upgrade to a piece of plastic cutting board one of these days. I don't do it often anymore. I usually take them home and clean them on the board sitting on my plastic sawhorses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    I have no Idea how my wife does it
    Tried to get mine to clean my fish once. Can't mention where she told me to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. By the time I drive home I am never in the mood to clean fish.

I C&R about 90% of the time, but when we're keeping I usually clean them at the lake whenever it is available. I have a Rapala 12V knife, but I have never been too impressed with it compared to the AC knife.

At Wabaunsee, I do it right on the dock since we have electricity there.

But if I get a couple big walleye at another lake, I will bite the bullet and fillet them when I get back home. Not super convenient, but it is worth it. I wouldn't want to do it with a livewell full of crappie though... That's a lot of heads and guts...
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast