Thread: OK Beav & Chris

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OK Beav & Chris

How about a report from yesterday.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Beav has got the pictures, so I will start with the story. We got started at Walnut Creek around 1:30pm. The wind wasn't too bad, but that quickly changed after an hour or two. Beav tied the boat up around 3 or 4 spots with submerged trees, and we trolled one area. We caught somewhere around 15 bass, but none of them met the 21" requirement. The biggest one caught was an 18.5". Poor EB was hooking into a good fight for a crappie, only to be disappointed with a bass. He finally nabbed a 13.5" white crappie on our last brush pile. I can understand why he thought he had another bass.

Most of what EB did was using the slip bobber and jigging. I was mostly jigging with either a plastic or a minnow. That wind was up around 25 - 30 mph. I made a joke that I was starting to get a little sea sick, haha. Either way we caught fish, along with the bass we caught 3 bluegill and I think 7 crappie, but we only kept the one.

Now for the apology, I found out later that evening that there is no restriction on crappie size at Walnut Creek, that the sign I saw is more than likely an old sign that was never taken down. So we actually could have kept some of those 9" crappie Beav.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a pretty good day of fishing yesterday afternoon even with the wind. We caught a lot of fish but was of the smaller sizes. We had a few 9-1/2 inchers we could have kept but I just as soon leave them to grow up a little like the nice one I caught. We tried different jigs as well as the minnows. The bigger fish did come on a maribou jig. We would start to catch Crappie and the Bass would move in and the Crappie would disappear. The wind was up to 35 MPH at times so that drifting was out of the question. The only thing we could do was to tie up to the trees and ride out the waves. The one Crappie still had his tux on but I think the spawn is pretty well over here. We didn't catch any Crappie with the tell tale sign of extended bellies.
    I take the boat to this little lake for the first trip to check everything to see that it works properly. Good thing I did because the big motor didn't want to turn all that easy and when I went to use the electric wench to load the boat it wasn't working either. The motor was an easy fix, I just greased the arm on the slide and the motor turned a lot easier. I checked to see if I was getting power to the back of the truck on the wire to the wench and found that it wasn't working coming off the back of the truck. I checked under the hood and found that when I had the truck tuned up they disconnected the in line fuse for some reason. The fuse holder was messed up and I couldn't get it back together again. Maybe that is why they didn't hook it back up again. I replaced the in-line fuse holder and am back in business again. I will take the boat down to my lake and get the stickers put on it and then will be ready to go fishing.
    The water was only 64 degrees yesterday and we was catching the most fish in about 12-14 ft of water. I will get the picture from Yesterday on the computer and will post it later. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    The water was only 64 degrees yesterday
    Seeing how the high yesterday was 99 - 101, I am amazed it was only 64.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too Chris and I checked it every stop we made.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report.You two make a good team. Get a little preventive maintenance done and enjoy the good times.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Bad news EB, that crappie was female and was still packing eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

They might be spawning deeper this year. You did get the male that still had his tux on. EB