Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best way to make canepoles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to make canepoles?

I've got a great connection for all the cane I want. What's the best method for making cane poles?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a detailed article explaining the steps. It starts off with background stuff, but a little further down on the page has all of the steps from selecting the right cane to curing.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/g...on_cane-poling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetHomeAlabama
    I've got a great connection for all the cane I want. What's the best method for making cane poles?

Thanks in advance.
    When i lived in south georgia in the late fifties-early sixties, thats about all we used to fish with. wed cut our own and cure em by cuttin iem in the winter, then tying a string or rope to the handle, swing it to the eaves under the roof hangover and then tie a brick or rock to the small end and let it hang and cure till spring. wed take em down as we used em. back then all us boys usually had 2 or three apiece wed carry fishing. as we broke the tips off wed replace the pole from our stock. It wasnt uncommon to see a house with a couple dozen hanging from the roof overhang. if we had acess to a barn wed use it instead. wed varnish em after they cured to help waterproof em. back then we dint do much crappie fishing, instead we chased brim, bass and catfish and our main bait was wigglers wed dig. we never bought bait..
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    When i lived in south georgia in the late fifties-early sixties, thats about all we used to fish with. wed cut our own and cure em by cuttin iem in the winter, then tying a string or rope to the handle, swing it to the eaves under the roof hangover and then tie a brick or rock to the small end and let it hang and cure till spring. wed take em down as we used em. back then all us boys usually had 2 or three apiece wed carry fishing. as we broke the tips off wed replace the pole from our stock. It wasnt uncommon to see a house with a couple dozen hanging from the roof overhang. if we had acess to a barn wed use it instead. wed varnish em after they cured to help waterproof em. back then we dint do much crappie fishing, instead we chased brim, bass and catfish and our main bait was wigglers wed dig. we never bought bait..
    Sounds like you was raised a UGLY STICK man Rango.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i been a ugly stick man from the git go.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather would hang his in trees my job was to climb the tree and tie them off,then he would tie a block on the other end.We also did it in the winter,and let it hang till spring.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER