Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" crappie in 15 acre lake ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 16" crappie in 15 acre lake ?

My father-n-law just got into fishing this year and likes to tell stories. He claims he and a friend got to a 15 acre farm lake here in Wabash county, IN; and they catch 3 or 4, 16" crappie or "slabbers" as he calls them, every time they go. He's not an experienced fisherman by any means and says they catch them on tube jigs reeling straight in slow in 6'-10' of water. Are crappie this big commonly found in this size of lake and biteing on anything year round in 6'-10' of water? He claims they catch 12" bluegill also, but have never seen pictures of either. I'd like to call him out on this and say for sure he's full of crap. I've been fishing for 24 years and his first year he wants so bad to be the better fisherman ( why I don't know) , yet my 34" pike made him so jealous he wouldn't even look at the pictures, just mouthed off that he and a buddy caught 31 bluegill all 10"-12" long. Again no proof.

So any input or advice to help my cause :D , his bragging gets very old with no proof. Oh yeah he caught a 12" largemouth bass and thought it was a stripped bass becuase of the strip down the side. See what I deal with :rolleyes: -Thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like he may not be a friend of the truth.:D When i run across a "topper" or 1 upper when they ask what i caugth i tell we didnt have any luck.:p
    Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    My father-n-law just got into fishing this year and likes to tell stories. He claims he and a friend got to a 15 acre farm lake here in Wabash county, IN; and they catch 3 or 4, 16" crappie or "slabbers" as he calls them, every time they go. He's not an experienced fisherman by any means and says they catch them on tube jigs reeling straight in slow in 6'-10' of water. Are crappie this big commonly found in this size of lake and biteing on anything year round in 6'-10' of water? He claims they catch 12" bluegill also, but have never seen pictures of either. I'd like to call him out on this and say for sure he's full of crap. I've been fishing for 24 years and his first year he wants so bad to be the better fisherman ( why I don't know) , yet my 34" pike made him so jealous he wouldn't even look at the pictures, just mouthed off that he and a buddy caught 31 bluegill all 10"-12" long. Again no proof.

So any input or advice to help my cause :D , his bragging gets very old with no proof. Oh yeah he caught a 12" largemouth bass and thought it was a stripped bass becuase of the strip down the side. See what I deal with :rolleyes: -Thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

Kick him in the **** every time he tells you a lie. He'll learn eventually.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-16-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know where a 15-20 acre lake in Kansas ,that I have talked about before, that has 15" crappie in it. The largest ever caught was 19".

Maybe you should wait and see before you call him out on it. You don't want you Father in Law having that over you head for the rest of your life. Haha.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A "friend" of mine is like that. I don't care what you caught, shot or trapped, he either has done better or knows someone that has. He even went so far as to take a 2.5 lb crappie that my fishing buddy's son caught, had it mounted, and tells everyone he caught it. On the other hand, he is the type of person that would do anything for you if you needed help. He is really a like-able person, he just can't stick to the truth.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if he's telling the truth but I have seen some slabs come out of a few farm ponds that I fished in Missouri when I was stationed there. Hopefully they are still there.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I think i would wait on calling him out.I have seen some small lakes produce some big fish.My folks have a pond thats less than 3 acres and it is full of huge gills,bass,and crappie.I have pulled an 8 lbs 4 oz bass out of it and many 14-15 inch slabs over the years.It is also chucked full of gills bigger than your hand.
    See if ya can talk him into takeing ya with him or at least producing some pics.Heck go buy him one of those disposable cameras and tell him to take ya some pics of his next trip then give it back and you have it developed.

Post Thanks / Like

Just yesterday I went to my buddys farmpond(maybe 4-5 acres)and caught 2 bluegill that were both around 9 inches,7 perch that were all between 11 and 13 inches and a 13 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

a 12" or 13" crappie can turn into a 16" or 17" pretty quick in a fish story :D
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

The state record for white crappie in Tennessee was caught out of a farm pond, in Dickson Co. in 1968. Weighed 5lbs 1oz
    Not saying he is streching his blanket or not, but you never know.
    ERN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast