Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Happens to plastics?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Happens to plastics?

I'm not sure if this is an environmental question or what. But, as a rule my buds and I (kayakers) always bring out of the water more than we go with, i.e. trash etc.

So, the question du jour is: What happens to the plastic lures that get lost in the water from fishing? Is that rubber stuff bio degradable? Or does that become more stuff on the bottom of our waterways? If the fish actually eat them, what happens? Can they digest it or does it block them up and eventually kill them, or does it just pass through and end up as fodder for something else?

Daily Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

From what I know common soft plastics aren't bio degradable. Some companies make ones that are. I know recently Maine tried to pass a bill prohibiting soft plastics because they are not bio degradable. Also I've read that fish sometimes swallow discarded plastics, which they cannot digest and it blocks their digestive tracts, causing malnutrition and death

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the new law already...."Non biodegradable fishing lures BANNED! Only bio-degradable lures are now allowed! (at 9 times the price and half the quality) $4.9 million dollar study done and 4 fish found dead!

Post Thanks / Like

I can see that happening. Sad, but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman View Post
    I can see the new law already...."Non biodegradable fishing lures BANNED! Only bio-degradable lures are now allowed! (at 9 times the price and half the quality) $4.9 million dollar study done and 4 fish found dead!

Post Thanks / Like

Untill someone proves to me a fish cannot puke, I say BS to the whole soft plastic killing fish argument.( Not saying it has not happened ) but I have found everything from small tube jigs, worms, and even a weedless spoon that was puked up by fish in my livewell. They can empty thier stomachs on command. Some fish can even turn thier stomachs inside out, outside thier body cavity, swim along till it is rinsed and then swallow it back in place, I know all billfish have this ability as the sailfish we caught would have thier stomachs on the outside, trying to get rid of the hook and the deck hands would stuff them back down thier gullets before releasing them. < weird stuff to watch for sure.
    I am sure a lot of fish and other creatures have been hurt and/or killed by soft plastic, but I would bet fishing line and 6 pack rings and killed more that that.

Peace

CS
    Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think we get caught up sometimes "trying to make a difference" in areas that really....make no difference. It makes us "feel good". It appeals to our ideological side instead of our logical side. Many times, it simply appeals to our pocket books. Has a discarded plastic lure ever killed a fish in the history of time? Maybe...is it worth destroying an industry over? If you make bi degradable baits it is! Is it worth doing a 3.2 million dollar study? It is if you are the contracted head of the study! Is it worth FORCING another law down the throats of the American public via choking the halls of our capitol with a worthless agenda? It is if you are a politician that has ties to the new bi degradable industry or got a campaign contribution from them.

Lead shot was replaced by steel in the late 80's for duck hunters. A box of shells went from $4.50 a box to $14....overnight! Ever seen a duck dead from lead poisoning? Neither has anyone else..yet we still have to buy the steel shot...at now $18 a box and UP!

Lead weights are banned in many places...again, where are the (must be) NUMEROUS dead animals from eating lead weights? No one's ever seen one...just the "thought" of it...or just a question, much like this one, was asked...to the wrong idiot and BAM...no more lead weights.

Light bulbs, the EPA, DEQ.......Geez...the list goes on

Its ALL "fodder" my brother....our government is FULL of "fodder"...don't get on the band wagon and help em out

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And don't "politicize" your answers/opinions, as that can easily be construed as "pushing your own agenda".

The question was more "scientific" than political, so let's answer it in that context. Politics belongs on the WOT Forum, not here.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    And don't "politicize" your answers/opinions, as that can easily be construed as "pushing your own agenda".

The question was more "scientific" than political, so let's answer it in that context. Politics belongs on the WOT Forum, not here.

... cp
    +1

My point is/was not to stir up controversy rather more curious. I will still gather the errant string, lure, can, bit of trash etc from the waterways as I can. I will still try to recycle things that can be recycled whenever possible BUT this is not about any of that.

Just curious about if the plastic lures/baits break down readily or not. The question I think has been answered... no.

OK, thanks!

Now if I can only learn to catch fish!

D F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post

... cp
    The only agenda I have is a free country that allows me to fish and you to have an open forum for fisherman that buy things in a non manipulated free market. Sorry if that wasn't received well. Wont happen again.

Post Thanks / Like

im with pappy on this one...........
    Happy Hooken.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast