Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A bit confused on making rigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default A bit confused on making rigs

I'm new to fishing crappie and tying rigs (just all around inexperienced fisherman, really) and had a question on tying up rigs. I probably spend more time setting up my line and rig than I actually fish. So I've decided to start tying a few different setups at home, that way I can just tie them to the barrel swivel and be on my way.

My question is, what type of line should I be making my pre made rigs with? What I used for for the ones I've made thus far is 10 lb mono that was just laying around. I've since realized that wasn't too smart because the line will show up much more. So, what do you suggest to go along with my 6 lb mono that I have spooled? Mono or fluro and what lb?

thanks
    Last edited by DgTerrell; 05-13-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like suffix 8# clear or green. I'd never use less than 8#. 10# works in stained water below 3"
    Fin

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DT ... it's usually customary to use a slightly smaller pound test line than your main line, when making pre-tied rigs. Mono is the normal line type for these "rigs" ... but, many different line types can be/are used.
    The main purpose of using a lesser pound test line, for the rigs, is so that only the rig or part of it will be lost to hanging up ... depending on number of hooks attached. The various different riggings are shown in a sticky at the top part of this forum page, if you want to check out some of the variations that our members use. It's also a good idea to have something to wrap around, or put these pre-made rigs on ... and a "pool noodle" seems to be the cheapest & easiest to acquire. (I recently saw an ad for them, in a local store, for $1/ea)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks a lot. I had made my rigs by going looking at the sticky post and those pictures helped me a ton. Hope to try them out later today. Thanks again for help.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DG, I use 15-4 braid for my main line and 12 lb for my Riggs. Like Pappy said always use smaller test on rig than main. I lose a few hooks now and then but rare to lose an entire rig. This is just my opinion and will probably get blasted for it but my feeling is there is way to much emphasis put on fishing small line when spider rigging. Small line is fine when fishing small jigs casting or shooting docks, more for fall speed than fish seeing line and the ability to cast the really light weight.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Some good information above, but if you do find yourself losing a lot of rigs and hooks I highly recommend purchasing some litewire jigs and litewire hooks from "litewirehooker" he is a member sponsor here. Don't get them confused with other hooks that say lightwire, these are much more light. They pull out of hang ups easier than any hook you will ever find at your local sporting goods store. When they bend out, you just bend them back and go back to fishing. I don't use them exclusively but I do use them a lot. Just a suggestion for you to think about. They work so good that out of the hundred or so I got from him over a year ago I still have the majority left because you never lose them, even on big fish like cats and gars the line doesn't break because the hook will normally bend out.......
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Tackle Box 3.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  66.2 KB

Welcome from Alabama. I will usually use 8 lb for the main line and then 4 lb on the pretied rigs. I store my pre tied ones in a plano box so I can easily attach them to the main line when I want to fish a different bait.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for all the info!

I took off yesterday evening to the lake and it's 5ft over summer pool. I only bank fish so it was it was rough trying to find a place where I could fish. I think I lost 4 of the 6 rigs I made, haha. Yeah so some lighter line and some of those hooks Southern Young Gun recommended is definitely on my shopping list. ShipAhoy that looks pretty nifty, think I'll try that out too.

Post Thanks / Like

Using light wire jigs/hooks helps me.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty, well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW what a ride".