Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Missouri and first trip to Finger Lakes State Park 5-8-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Missouri and first trip to Finger Lakes State Park 5-8-2013

I have recently moved to Columbia MO after spending over 50 years in Mississippi and started looking for places to fish.
    I sold my boat a couple of years ago and now do all of my fishing out of a FishCat floattube.

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 002.JPG
Views: 2890
Size:  45.0 KB

I found Finger Lakes State Park and on my first visit fell in love with the near clear waters and available structure for
    the fish on the main lake within the park.

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 003.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  47.8 KB

You can easily see 5-7 feet down to the hydrilla and other structure that dominates this lake.

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 010.JPG
Views: 847
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 001.JPG
Views: 1245
Size:  47.1 KB

As you folks get to know me, you will all come to realize my love affair with my flyrod. But I do also use my crappie jig
    poles and ultralight rigs too.

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 009.JPG
Views: 1033

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 008.JPG
Views: 2066

I, personally, think that bluegills are one of the most beautiful freshwater fish in the world.

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 007.JPG
Views: 873
Size:  46.7 KB

This lake allows 30 crappie, 20 bluegills and the bass are on a slot limit.

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 005.JPG
Views: 837
Size:  49.0 KB

I landed 2 crappie, over 50 bluegills, one shellcracker and around a dozen bass in about 4 hours of splashing around with
    my floattube.

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 004.JPG
Views: 813
Size:  48.5 KB

I released the two small crappie and the green carp but the twenty gills and one shellcracker suffered a different fate...

Name:  fslp-05-08-2013 006.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  47.6 KB

Here's hoping you all get to visit this beautiful lake and have as wonderful a time as I did.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Pics!

Post Thanks / Like

you had a great trip liked the pic i live about 25 miles from table rock but crappie are my down fall

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm talkin bout, nice gills. Looks like I will have to put the Kayak on this body of water for some good Bluegill action.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

been there many times, but brought my dirt bike rather than a fishin pole... I also visited the columbia hospital a time or two congrats on the fishin, I always liked the looks of some of those ponds and never saw too many people fishin there, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think that I won't do the ol' bump-n-jerk myself. It just seems like ever since I sold my boat and have to rely on a floattube, that I'm more productive with the flyrod vs my crappie poles. But I do have good results with my ultralight rigged with a weighted cork above a variety of jigs. You can look for some crappie pics too hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by old jack View Post
    you had a great trip liked the pic i live about 25 miles from table rock but crappie are my down fall

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice report thanks . Sure was fun on a fly rod huh

Post Thanks / Like

Rocky Fork Lake also has some nice bluegill and a few crappie. It's convenient for belly boating.

If you don't mind murkier water, the crappie and bass fishing can be excellent along the Highway T causeway at Thomas Hill this time of year. Crappie should be spawning in the rocks.

Send me a p.m., and I'll suggest a couple of other places.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our beautiful state. I think you'll find Columbia to be great. I love it here. The worst part is that drive for a good lake to put a boat in on. A little over an hour to Lake of the Ozarks.... But other than that its great.
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures and description. Bet them gills are going to taste great. Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast