Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Effects of Cold Spring on Crappie Spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Effects of Cold Spring on Crappie Spawn

I'm sure water temp has a lot to do with spawning activity....if temp is too low the fry have less chance of survival, correct? So fish won't spawn until proper temps are achieved. But how long can a ripe female hold onto those eggs before they go bad or re-absorb or whatever is the proper term? The spawn usually lasts several weeks as temps change in different locations on reservoirs, but can the fish hold on to those eggs for several weeks while waiting? At what point does a loss of a year class become a possibility?

Once a satisfactory temp is reached, will the length of the spawn be condensed since the fish have been waiting? Have some fish already given up?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie will spawn into Memorial Day weekend in Smithville Lake. I've caught them on the spawning beds that late. Our cold spring has delayed the start of the spawn, but we have plenty of time for it to get rolling good. The longer water temps remain below 60 degrees, the shorter the spawn may be. When water temps get right it may be a mad rush to the banks. I had 59 degree water temp in a 17 acre lake north of Platte City today. I suspect by Monday the spawn will be in full swing if it not before. Spawning is usually triggered by length of day, but temperature does play a part. Last year when it warmed up so fast some of the fish moved up early to spawn but most hit the banks right on time or a week or so early. Water temperature rarely affects things by more than 2 weeks either way. Although the temps in early April this year were so extreme, we never saw walleye go to the dam at Longview Lake in any numbers. Just a few here and there. I expect the crappie spawn to peak the next 2 weeks, so hit it hard! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Info

Post Thanks / Like

that's good news Jake...as stable as Smithville has been, except for the cool temps, should give us a good spawn this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring crappie fishing is always a crap shoot. Seems just as soon as they get going good a cold front or heavy rain changes everything. I actually fish for crappie more in the summer/fall months because I can consistently catch my limit then. But when you hit spring fishing right, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. It's a great time to introduce someone to fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring crappie fishing can be hectic, but I prefer it because the fish are shallow and I fly fish for them. It's much much harder if the fish are deeper. In southern Oklahoma we've had several warm days, the spawn has begun with the banks full of males and the females hanging off the first shelf. It's days not weeks before the big females are on the nests.
    "I'm Haunted by Waters"

Post Thanks / Like

Someday I hope to be able to find and catch fish during other times of the year, but til then I rely on the spawn to put a few fillets in the freezer, as well as try to get my grandkids out for some fishing

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get down here again sometime Vic. I can show you some summer time dipping that will also work at Smithville.