Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using inside jigheads for tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using inside jigheads for tubes

Hi Guys....I was wondering what inside jigheads(size/brand)you use for inch and a half tubes,I bought sixteenth ounce heads with a size 4 hook to use with the Southern Pro tubes I have and I can't get them rigged without butchering the tube.Also do any of you rig your hollow body tubes with round heads pushing them up to the head like you would a grub?I'm new to this and any help would be great.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use something like this. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

They are made to go inside tubes.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

That looks just like what I bought,I got the BPS inside tube jigheads made for the their squirt tubes.I tried to bring it up from the bottom of the tube(tenticle end)and it seem that the shaft that has the hook loop sticks up to far and won't let me get it threw the tube.Maybe I'm doing sometthing wrong rigging it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, ad1974 ....

Quote Originally Posted by ad1974
    Hi Guys....I was wondering what inside jigheads(size/brand)you use for inch and a half tubes,I bought sixteenth ounce heads with a size 4 hook to use with the Southern Pro tubes I have and I can't get them rigged without butchering the tube.Also do any of you rig your hollow body tubes with round heads pushing them up to the head like you would a grub?I'm new to this and any help would be great.
    I don't use the "insert" style jigheads, but there are many mfg's that do make them ... and they should slip right into a tube body, with no "butchering". Insert style heads are designed to slide inside the tube, then just push the line eye thru the tube. Round heads would have to be mighty small (light weight) to not do damage to a 1.5" tube ... probably something in the 1/32 or 1/64oz range.
    Personally, I don't see a need to "insert" the whole jighead into my tubes. I use several different style heads, and just thread the tubes (or grubs, etc) onto the hook. A touch of "superglue" between the lead and plastic ... and they don't slip down (and Sunfish can't "pull" them down, either) :p I, also, don't like having to remove the whole jig/plastic, to change colors or body versions, like you do with insert jigheads. That's one reason I use the "thread on" method, and the ball head or minnow head style jigheads. A 1.5" tube, of most any mfg, is going to be quite soft (and thin walled) ... so, even the tiny hole that you punch thru the tube, with the line eye, is only going to expand with use ... and more so, if you catch a fish. You "could" put a dab of "superglue", at the "hole" the line eye makes ... that "might" stop the tearing process.

You aren't trying to put a "weedless" insert jighead into these tubes ... are you ?? There's only one brand, I know of, that you could do so with ... and even they are tricky to deal with. They're called "Speed Loader" Crappie jigheads ... made by Oldham's Lures. ........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys...Hi Crappie Pappy,I normally use alot of grubs rigged with round heads coming in with the hook from the front and when I first got the tubes to try I rigged them just like I do a grub.I got some of the jigheads made for going inside the tube to try(they are sixteenth ounce and have a size 4 hook)from BPS and I must be doing something wrong because I can't get them in.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use umbrella tubes and 1/8 th round headed jigheads. I mash the lead collar/barb down and lube them with fish formula or other oil. Still have to be gentle when pushing into large umbrella tubes. When I use 1/4 leadheads , I put them on like grubs or solid body lures.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

When I rig an insert jig, I put a shot of liquid attractant or just wet the jig to make it slip in easier. I rarely tear one up when rigging. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

i don't like to use the inside head tube jigs because they have a tendency to tear easier when i catch fish
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ck14, I tear them up, But like Roberta, liquid fish sent works good as a lubricant.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side Riggin'

is what I call it. I make a weedless head for tubes and have used them for years. You dont take the head through the tip of the tube but drop down on the side about 1/8 of a inch. Insert the hook point first and then the body is tapered so it will slide through the same hole the hook made. Then when you get up to the hook eye you just pop the end of the tube over the end of the head and all you can see is the line-tie/the weedgaurd/ and the business end of the whole deal. At first glance, you can not really tell that the hook is even in there. If you drop a drop of glue on the lead head before you pull the tip over it will last until they tear it off, and usually that is the tails that go first as the body will still be glued to the head itself. Everyone one laughed at me when I first hatched up this idea but years later they still come a bummin'...lol....my little brother says you can fish one of them through a wild rose bush and not get snagged....and he has the pics and the fillets to prove it...lol....I hope this helps and if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line and I will help anyway I can. Good Fishin'......The G-Fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast