Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Prairie Lee 5-7-13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prairie Lee 5-7-13

Not the best fishing day ever but a beauty day never the less. Fish were scattered, some males on the bank but few and far between, lots of dinks, some okay action after 6 PM around the docs, then at 7 PM wham a 13 incher! By far a gi-nourmous fish for Prairie Lee. Caught perhaps 20, kept around 10. Spoke to a guy at the ramp who said he was having decent luck in 10-15 fow, which means they were 30 feet off the bank. I never fished that deep today except around the docks so I may have been in the wrong place. I was out for 8 hours and I would have to categorize the action as pretty slow. I think the lake turned over recently and that had something to do with it. Consensus per the two guys I spoke with on the water today is the spawn is going to hit within the next week or two. Any KC guys have any input on that theory? I have attached pics of the 13’er. Name:  Prairie Lee 5-7-13.1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  42.3 KBName:  Prairie Lee 5-7-13.2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  84.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

that's a good report and a nice fish

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish, Bernie! I'd be surprised if Prairie Lee Lake would be turning over this late in the year since it is so much smaller and theoretically, the water temps would be higher. But I've never fished or even been on it, so...what do I know? I would just suspect that the fish are post spawn and moving deeper.

Of the ten you kept, did you have any females full of eggs?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joe, of the 10 I kept, only 2 were female, both full of eggs. Of the fish I have cleaned so far this year, only a couple each time out have been female, that's why I am not convinced the spawn has hit yet. The females have yet to arrive on the banks, it has only been males every time with a scattered female here and there, and I've been out there every 4-5 days for the past few weeks. I'm not sure all the females could drop their eggs in a 3 day span during freezing rain and snow, but I've been wrong before. Nobody on the lake has caught females on the bank yet. I'm thinking this weekend, they will be there. You'll be the first to know. Well, you and everyone else on here!

Post Thanks / Like

Go get 'em, bud! Sounds like they're ripe for the pickin'!

Good luck and looking forward to your report!