Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Charles River Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Question Charles River Fishing

Hey Guy's,

Has anyone fished the Charles River lately? How is the river for crappie? I fished the Charles a few times before I moved to Maryland 20 years ago, but that was before I knew what I was doing. It looks like I will be spending a few weeks or a month or so near there this summer helping out my mom, and would like to do some fishing while I'm there.

Thanks,

Russell

Post Thanks / Like

hey russell, whereabouts along the river are you gonna be staying? also, will you have access to a canoe or kayak? depending upon where youre gonna be at, i know a couple good places to put in. ive had mixed results in the charles, some days are great others not so much. i have caught a few crappie there without specifically targeting them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Gelauck,

It's hard to be far from the Charles anywhere in eastern Mass, as it is so twisty. I'll be in the Needham, Newton, Waltham area primarily, but can get just about anywhere if I have enough time.

I don't know about the canoe yet. Small car to fit a canoe and/or kayak, bike, fishing stuff, dog, dog crate, daughter, daughter's stuff. Probably have to put the daughter on the roof, 'cuz I can't put the dog up there; Mitt tried that and we all saw where that got him. And oh yeah, tools. I'm supposed to be working on the house, not fishing......

My new rescue dog and his issues may keep me shore bound, I don't know. I'm waiting for warm weather before I try him out in the canoe. What sections of the river have you fished?

Thanks,

Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Russell, here is a great place on the newton/needham line to put in a canoe or kayak, and if you do not have one they will rent you one. The fishing can be hit or miss in here. The pond there in the bottom left corner is very good for bass. Hit me up when youre out here and I can suggest some more spots or maybe we can get out fishing. I go blue-crabbing in the summer as well, so if youre missing that I can point you in the right direction there.

Newton, MA - Google Maps

here is another spot in newton where you can rent canoes/kayaks.

Newton, MA - Google Maps

Post Thanks / Like

gelauck,

These are great suggestions. I remember Norumbega Park, when it was still an amusement park. I had to be about 5 or 6 when they closed it down. I really want to try the bass and pike from there downstream to Waltham. So Kendrick Pond is good? If there are bass, then there must be pike too. Imagine skittering for pike with a long crappie pole!

From Kendrick, pan the map down (south) to Great Plain Ave. There is a cut-off canal that cuts out miles of river. I canoed the river (not the canal) with my mom when I was a kid. There was/is a submerged car visible from the canoe launch. I have always wanted to canoe the canal but never got the chance.

I've got nephews in Arlington, so will also be fishing the Mystic Lakes/River some. There are also tons of quarry ponds and backed up streams/marshes all over the greater Burlington/Lexington/Etc. area. I love walking back into the thick stuff and pulling big fish out of areas that "aint got no fish back there". Nobody back there but me and the homeless guy's. I absolutely guarantee Big Bass one block from the Burlington Mall. The question is, are we tough enough to get in there and get them?

Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Russell,

I have never heard of pike being in that pond but theyre around in the river around there for sure, so who knows? very good bass pond though. i have never caught a pike although one time many years ago, just downriver of the park there, i was reeling up a line real fast to recast it when the bait was absolutely slammed right at the canoe. never saw the fish but it instantly broke me off and i always assumed it was a pike. it was definitely a w-t-f was that moment.

i have heard great things about those mystic ponds. herring run up into them, so bass can get very large in there. you may also want to consider spy pond in arlington. a-1 in westboro is also a great place to fish. they have tiger muskie there! along with everything else you would want to catch, including crappie.

good luck

g.e.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, getting slammed right at the boat has got to be a pike or pickerel. Last time I was at Spy Pond, some girl asked me to rub suntan lotion on her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerraHunter View Post
    Last time I was at Spy Pond, some girl asked me to rub suntan lotion on her.
    sounds like a good day of fishing.

im gonna go try and catch a few crappies after work today. i will post a report. doesnt seem like anybody's posting in the mass forum

Foxy is offline Moderator Massachusetts Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always wanted to fish the Charles for channel cats and carp, I'd especially like to fish the river basin. Funny I finally decided to do just that a couple years back, put the canoe in over in Brighton just before sunrise and low and behold I found out about 20 minutes later that out of all the days of the year, by chance I had chosen the very day of the Charles regatta lol!