Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just ordered some smart tabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just ordered some smart tabs

Well, I just pulled the trigger on some smart tabs. They are scheduled for delivery on Wed which will give me plenty of time to install them for a Saturday fishing excursion. I'm looking to help add more stability in high speed turns in heavy chop, stop the wandering at slow speeds, and allow for a slower plane speed for pulling the kids on towables. I have read tons of great things about them so really looking forward to getting them on the boat. I just purchased the boat a week ago so this will be my first purchase for it (besides a crap loads of fuel!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

You'll like that! I have a bay boat with hydraulic trim tabs and they are great for all you described.Name:  footballboat%20013.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  42.8 KB
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    You'll like that! I have a bay boat with hydraulic trim tabs and they are great for all you described.
    I'm probably opening a can of worms Feelay, but will those tabs stop the porposing? When I trim my motor out, I can only trim out a touch before it starts porposing. I should be able to trim that motor out and make her run.

What model are those tabs? Smart tabs SX? Bigger?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are Lenco, If I remember correctly. Were on the boat when I bought it. Don't know about porpoising, mine doesn't do it.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Ark, I have done a lot of reading about these smart tabs and porposing is one of the things people claim they easily fix. Do some research on them and I think you will want some too. Iboats has them on sale right now for $104 which is much cheaper than anywhere else I have found them.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat Feelay!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Crusher View Post
    Ark, I have done a lot of reading about these smart tabs and porposing is one of the things people claim they easily fix. Do some research on them and I think you will want some too. Iboats has them on sale right now for $104 which is much cheaper than anywhere else I have found them.
    These are totally new to me. I see there are different sizes for different size boats. Are the recommendations close or should I move up a size bigger than what is recommended?
    What about installation? Fairly easy? What I read stated no through hull drilling

Post Thanks / Like

What I have read is that you really want to match the actuators to your boat as close as possible. My boat weighs 2600# and has a V6 on the back of her so I went with the 60 pound actuators as that is what was recommended by the chart. The reviews I have read say that the company is very willing to talk with you and personally assist you in picking out what they think would be the best fit for your boat. I have also read that if you purchase the a kit with either to light or heavy actuators that most often times they will swap out different ones free of charge within the first 30 days if you will only pay S&H. Most all reviews I have read say their customer service is second to none. The instructions on the website say that first time installers will probably take about an hour to do the install and service centers who have done them before can do the install in 30 minutes with only a drill and a Phillips screw driver. Here is a link to their site if you've not already been there. Smart Tabs SX Trim Tabs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks RockCrusher for that information. I have been to their site but had not looked that far into it. I will give them a call today.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I could help, Ark.