Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First day out with new 998 SI and this is what I see.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First day out with new 998 SI and this is what I see.

All settings are factory default except I reduced the width of the side scan from 125 to 75 ft per side. The power cable for this unit is a twisted pair run down the opposite side of the boat from every other wire. It powers the unit from the starting battery,shared only with the other FF and the engine. The transducer and GPS cables are mounted on a Da'Ducer bracket, run together below deck where they are coiled, and back up to the back of the unit. The ethernet cable for an iPilot link Terrova is bundled with them on the path to the unit. The lines appear regardless of TM speed and even when TM is off completely. The unit is running the latest software upgrade as of last night. I have no clue what I'm looking at other than from looking at other posted pics from SI these lines prob should not be there. Thx

Name:  005-1.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  55.1 KB
    Last edited by tsaints1115; 05-05-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

what software is it? did you install it? my 898 kind of looked like that when i put the 6.610 update in. wish i new how to put the old back in....i dont know what it had before
    kost plus crappie team

Post Thanks / Like

That is 6.610, It had 6.18ish? but with it's interacting with the iPilot Link I was under the understanding a newer version was needed. The 858 hd di at the console was loaded with 6.610 from the factory and I don't see any problems with that unit as far as lines.

Post Thanks / Like

someone will chime in that knows more about it
    kost plus crappie team

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Tracy... Do you know what version came loaded on the unit...??

I would load the original version back in to see if the issue is, in fact, the 6.610 causing this (which I'm guessing it is)...

Note: never load an older version than what came on the unit new as there may be hardware designed that will not operate with older versions

Once we know that the problem is the software and not something else...we can go from there on what to do next...

And you are correct...the iLink requires the new software....Ho hum...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 05-05-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warbird View Post
    what software is it? did you install it? my 898 kind of looked like that when i put the 6.610 update in. wish i new how to put the old back in....i dont know what it had before
    Warbird...call HB with your serial number and they can tell you what version came on your unit...

Once you know the version number post back and we'll help you get it installed back into your unit...

Rickie
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Warbird...call HB with your serial number and they can tell you what version came on your unit...

Once you know the version number post back and we'll help you get it installed back into your unit...

Rickie
    ok thanks
    kost plus crappie team

Post Thanks / Like

Rickie,

I believe from looking at the screen when it asked permission to load the update that the factory installed version was 6.180 or thereabouts. I remember the 6.18 at least. don't remember what or if the third digit may have been.
    The 858 HD DI on the console had 6.610 from the factory. It appeared to work fine as far as the display being clear of any lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsaints1115 View Post
    Rickie,

I believe from looking at the screen when it asked permission to load the update that the factory installed version was 6.180 or thereabouts. I remember the 6.18 at least. don't remember what or if the third digit may have been.
    The 858 HD DI on the console had 6.610 from the factory. It appeared to work fine as far as the display being clear of any lines.
    Software versions can work differently in different units as each is written specifically for the hardware (and stuff) that's in that unit....(heck...I think software even works works differently in the same series units... )

So ...if 6.610 is working well in the 858...that's great...just watch it closely for anomalies ...

Now for the 998....It's very important to never load a version of software older than what came on the unit from the factory...it could cause some BAD compatability issues with the specific hardware that came in that year model unit...

If you don't remember exactly what version came on the unit from the factory...I would call HB with your serial number and they can tell you exactly what version was loaded into that unit when it was built...

I feel that the lines you see on the SI image are from this 6.610 software version...and the easiest way to verify this is to load the original version back into the unit and see if the SI image is fixed...

It's true that you won't be able to use the iLink with software older than the 6.600...but we need to find the image problem first....as its entirely possible that you may have to just "deal" with yukky SI images in order to use the iLink...

I'm "dealing" with the same issue in my 1197....

I must run 6.600 or higher to use my AS GPS HS antenna...but the SI images stink.....

So I'm using 6.610 when I need my waypoints....then I'm loading 6.310 when I want to take "pretty" SI screenshots and recordings....

Pain in the ***...??? Absolutely...

HB is listening to the discussions on the forums about the new software versions...but we will just have to make do with what we have until they send out another "fix"...

And right now ...we need to know if your yukky SI image is being caused by the 6.610...

Rickie
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

tsaints1115,
    Was your 858c HD DI unit running at the same time as when the above picture was made?
    I would start with shutting the 858c HD DI and all other sonar units off. Than all other electrical devices on the boat. This is just to make sure that you are not seeing some sort of sonar or electrical interference here as opposed to a software issue.

BTW: for a 998 unit, if it allowed you to load the 6.610 software than the latest software that it could have shopped out with is the 6.490 software. You should be able to safely load that version and check to see if the cause is the software update. If it is I would re-download a new copy of the 6.610 software and install it to try again.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast