Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any one had fishfinder power problems?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any one had fishfinder power problems?

Hi I am new to this forum.
    I installed a new Garmin Echo 500c fishfinder to my trolling motor yesterday, it powered up fine and seem to work fine.
    Went crappie sider rigging today and three times during the fishing day the power went out and I hit the on button and it was dead, minutes later I hit the button and it worked fine for awhile, a couple more times same thing, it was working fine when I stopped for the day.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? If not I will call Garmin Monday and see what they say.
    By the way I caught a mess of Crappie, threw back 80% which were 8 to 9".

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have it wired to trolling battery. If so it needs to be on separate battery. If not go back and check all connections. Especially the little fuse connector. They are real bad about losing connection on the ends of the glass fuses.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Do you have it wired to trolling battery. If so it needs to be on separate battery. If not go back and check all connections. Especially the little fuse connector. They are real bad about losing connection on the ends of the glass fuses.
    Its wired on a seperate battery, I will check the fuse connection. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I wound up replacing the glass fuses and their holders with waterproof (just cause) "blade" fuses/holders ...........
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    I wound up replacing the glass fuses and their holders with waterproof (just cause) "blade" fuses/holders ...........
    I have that type on other wires, funny just thinking about doing that. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like one of the problems I had with a Lowrance HDS unit. THe unit needed to have a certain constant power from the battery. If your battery is old it wont supply the power needed and the unit will shut off. After checking all the low cost items, get a load test done on your battery or if its really old just replace the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input from each of you.
    I checked it out this morning and the wing nut was loose on the battery, I took the hot wire off the battery when I hooked up the fishfinder and didn't get it back tight. I put a regular nut and lock washer on this time and I think it will stay tight.
    Now if I can just find those slabs