Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: DonG, I posted my memories

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DonG, I posted my memories

Too much to post here. Goto my web and click on Memories1 and Memories2 at top of page. You or some of the other Salts might know some of the ladies. lol.
    Lost most of my good stuff when my sister's house burned in 1971. Still have those Cruise Books though.

www.tomsstuff.net
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

cane pole - I'm too young to relate to your time across the pond, but a room number and time..........woohoo, I can only imagine.
    I find keepsakes like that interesting - what was the receipt for? (can't make out the handwriting), and was that in American currency? (I see it is from Hong Kong)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    cane pole - I'm too young to relate to your time across the pond, but a room number and time..........woohoo, I can only imagine.
    I find keepsakes like that interesting - what was the receipt for? (can't make out the handwriting), and was that in American currency? (I see it is from Hong Kong)
    Tailor made clothes. Paid Hong Kong Dollars, about 5 of theirs to one of ours at the time if I remember correctly. Long time ago. Lots of the guys that post here will remember shopping here. You could buy anything cheap at that time. Just good memories for guys like myself..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hong Kong/China

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Tailor made clothes. Paid Hong Kong Dollars, about 5 of theirs to one of ours at the time if I remember correctly. Long time ago. Lots of the guys that post here will remember shopping here. You could buy anything cheap at that time. Just good memories for guys like myself..
    Cane Pole -

I just returned from Asia after having lived in Hong Kong, China and Taiwan for almost 15 years.

Those great shopping deals we used to get are gone now. HK being among the most expensive cities to live, shop and eat in the world.

Still an enjoyable place to experience and the ladies are as lovely as ever. I married one about 7 years ago. She's experiencing the U.S. for the first time with me. We arrrived in Missouri in September and have not missed a week of fishing since.

Can't tell you how good it feels to be able to step outside and go fish'n though. Camping, boating, fishing and eating good crappie and catfish...enjoying it after all these years.

It's great to be back.

Hoot
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Cane Pole......I was about 4 1/2 years behind you, all the places in the P.I., Hong Kong, and even the place where you had a suit made. Regrettably, I didn't meet "Susie Wong," she's a cutie. Ended our last WestPac on yankee station.....a 2 day tad in Japan and then cruising back to Norfolk and home at last with 1580 hours over Nam. In retrospect, glad I was there....even more glad to get home. The highlight of that cruise was the stay in Australia. We were the 1st warship to dock there since the 1st & 2nd world wars, and we were well received. (well enough that we lost some good men to Sidney and the Aussie women.) But that's another story.......thanks for the memories, Cane Pole, and for sharing your memorabelia.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Olongapoo

I remember Olongapoo quite well. How about the kids that used to dive into what we called s**t river for the coins we'd throw them? There was a club I believed named the Whitehat club up on a hill at Subic Bay. After our fire on Forrestal we came back to P.I. and man did we have a party up there! We were staying at a old WWII Marine regrouping station on the hill as our area of the ship was destroyed. Come morning there were drunken sailors passed out from the club to the barracks! I did a Med cruise also, but was discharged before the ship came home. We hit France, Malta, Italy and Greece before I was sent home from Naples. I think I found Greece the most interesting with Athens, and also another port in the north.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the memories

Too much to post here. Goto my web and click on Memories1 and Memories2 at top of page. You or some of the other Salts might know some of the ladies. lol.
    Lost most of my good stuff when my sister's house burned in 1971. Still have those Cruise Books though.

www.tomsstuff.net
    I would like to see more if you have some....Hey, are we part of Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation folks? We might be just a little late.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Default I will have to dig around

I was TDY to CHU LYE (cant spell it). Helping with some of my Marine comrads supporting missle stuff in '64. I don't think Tom Brokoff came around. Could not get a regular bath here or brush your teeth on a regular basis. This would not look good on TV. These Marines caught hell here. I am glad my stay was short. I am sure some of the Marines post here, and know they what I am talking about.