Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: burned up another motor why???

Post Thanks / Like

Default burned up another motor why???

this is the second motor minkota variable speed endura max that stop working for me in as many months. Is it because I use a Big Foot Switch?? MinnKota doesn't have the answer?? anyone else have the problem with the Max series motor.... no problem with the old style motors just the Max endura and traxis. please reply if you think you've got a answer.
    can I use a 110 volt variable switch on a 12 volt motor. without more problems???

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suspect a bad connection(s) some where. And no to the 110 switch. It can't handle the amperage a TM requires.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rich, do you have your switch wired to the positive or negative side? Should be wired into negative side also like Bill said make sure all your connections are good. Here is something I did years ago to bypass using the switch straight to the motor. My disclaimer is it can be a bit make to much noise for you. You can take a lawnmower starter relay, wire heavy ground wire from battery to one side then trolling motor wire to other side. You will have to ground relay to battery side. Wire your on,off switch one side to positive and other side to small on,off stud on relay. Your switch then will work like a starter button. Gives you much more power to motor with much less restiance which seems might be your problem.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

The foot pedal is causing the problem, longer wires to the pedal causes the voltage to drop and amps to climb which will burn up circuit components!

Post Thanks / Like

OK guys , first I've used a Big Foot for 20 years and it is wired correctly. That said it rules out one issue. now for the wire length it's 15 foot number 8 stranded wire which also has been used for a long time. Now it may burn up circuit components but not the old standard tiller trolling motors?? Bare in mind I'm not a dumb-e. I believe it's the variable circuit boards in these motor that's the probelm... emailed minnkota and they seem to think that could be a problem. it has happen too , two different styles of motor Traxis and Max. endura's. I today put my old motor on the boat and we'll see what happen's when I get out later this week or next week with 1-3 inches of rain headed toward St Louis Mo.. I hope we all find a answer as I'm sure some of the other guys might have the same problem. oh one other thing I also tried a HT switch simialiar to the big foot. and it still happens... HELP

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You have the switch on the power side or the ground side of the power. Where is the switch located with respect to power?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

the big foot break the negative side as stated was the case for the last 20 years or so. the switch is approx 15 foot from the battery. Hi Tom