Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pine planks

Post Thanks / Like

Default pine planks

Any of you use pine planks for condos? I know it won't last as long as oak.
    I have a saw mill close to my house. They said I could have all the scraps I could haul off. Just wanted to check with you all before I go wild.

Thanks
    Jigster

Post Thanks / Like

They'll work and if you can get them free then go for it. You will just have to replenish your spots more often. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking CF. Oh well no big deal. I plan to mix some PVC and brush tops in with the condos.

Thanks
    Jigster

Post Thanks / Like

I made 6 of these. The same way you would make a condo out of PVC. We put them out on the 9th of September. On a channel drop off in 15' of water. The following Saturday they were full of good size fish. and still are. I guess we put them in a good spot.:D

Jigster
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jigster,
    They will work fine. Let em dry out a little to decrease the sap and odor. I personal believe cedar and pine trees don't work as well as others but I've used pine saw wood in my lake and can't tell the differance. Don't worry about it not lasting. Wood lasts much longer under water than above because there is much less oxygen under water.
    y last the rest of your life but your pretty old ya know. Seeya, Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigster
    I made 6 of these. The same way you would make a condo out of PVC. We put them out on the 9th of September. On a channel drop off in 15' of water. The following Saturday they were full of good size fish. and still are. I guess we put them in a good spot.:D

Jigster

Looks just like the ones I make out of pvc pipe. Ought to work. Looks good! CF

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys.
    Looks like it's time to head to the mill for another load.
    Got to get some places to fish when that North wind is howlin.

Post Thanks / Like

CF or anyone,

Can you see your PVC with your depth finder? Some say you can some say you can't. I have a lowrance 332 c color unit. I think it should be able to pick it up. What do you think??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigster
    CF or anyone,

Can you see your PVC with your depth finder? Some say you can some say you can't. I have a lowrance 332 c color unit. I think it should be able to pick it up. What do you think??

Yep, You may have to turn up the sensitivity to see them. I have a fishmark 320 and a X97 lowrance and I see them fine. Best thing to do is scout your area and make sure there is nothing down there before you drop the pvc. Then after you drop it, go over it with your depthfinder. Whatever you see is your pvc. Remember what it looks like because it shows up differently than normal brush. Make sure you mark your spot good with a GPS because you might could still miss it without one. use multiple waypoints around it to triangulate the position. especially in shallow water because of the narrow transducer cone. After the algae starts growing on it, you will be able to see it a lot easier. Problem is, so does everyone else. CF