Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I'm gonna ask this here about trailering my motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm gonna ask this here about trailering my motor

I have a brand new motor that's a long shaft, the owner's manual says to travel with the motor in the down position. My motor doesn't have a whole lot of clearance though and the skeg could easily hit one of the many speed bumps that are commonplace in my community...Locator can attest to that.

I do have a motor arm that I'm using, it attaches to the trailer and I simply sit my motor into it's rubber claw. The motor still swings from side to side when going down the highway but at least this method elevates the motor enough to clear road debris or speed bumps. I think I'll tie the motor off with some quality three strand nylon rope so it won't swing side to side while going down the highway.

We're going to Lake Barkley Sunday morning and it's a good drive, don't want to get this wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the transom saver you are using, also use a good heavy bungee cord to keep it from going side to side and you're good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the motor arm. Put the weight and pressure of the motor on the trailer. I have a 225 hp that is always trailered using the motor arm. The weight and bounce is transferred to the trailer and does no harm to the motor or transom.
    Indiana Crappie Federation Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Always use a transom saver whenever possible. That is the single best non fish catching aid add-on you can buy for your boat. After all, if your motor or transom falls off on the way to the lake, you aren't going to be catching any fish anyways. If I go look at a used boat for myself or with a friend, and I see no evidence of a transom saver never being mounted or used. I will not even entertain the idea of purchasing the boat. It structurally weakens a transom way more than people can ever imagine going down the road with all that weight hanging off the very back, and you multiply the force by the time it gets there from hitting a bump and slamming back down. Think how bad most of these roads are going back into the ramps around these state lakes. I know down here at Patoka where I fish they are awful and the trailer is in the air more than it is on the road. If you get a good transom saver it will come with a strap and your motor will not twist but a very little also.

Good Luck down at Barkley!

Post Thanks / Like

Even though the manual says that (and it does) its a terrible idea for many reasons. Use the transom saver, and a bungee that fits tight. Your motor shouldn't swing side to side though. There's a tension bar under the handle for steering, do you have that all the way tight? We have basically the same motor, and mine never moves.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've got it pretty tight Locator, mines not a bar but it's a round knob like feature that controls the tightness of the steering when on the water, I assume that's what you're speaking of. I'm switching trailers and the newer trailer we're switching over to doesn't have a mount for my transom saver like the old trailer. I guess I'm gonna have to figure that out in a hurry. Thanks guys, it was the info I was looking for. I told my wife that even though the owener's manual flatly states, "trailer in down position", those folks who wrote that manual probably live in Japan and don't understand how big some of these speed bumps in America are. Speed bumps can destroy the skeg on your motor or road debris could too, not worth it to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    I think I've got it pretty tight Locator, mines not a bar but it's a round knob like feature that controls the tightness of the steering when on the water, I assume that's what you're speaking of. I'm switching trailers and the newer trailer we're switching over to doesn't have a mount for my transom saver like the old trailer. I guess I'm gonna have to figure that out in a hurry. Thanks guys, it was the info I was looking for. I told my wife that even though the owener's manual flatly states, "trailer in down position", those folks who wrote that manual probably live in Japan and don't understand how big some of these speed bumps in America are. Speed bumps can destroy the skeg on your motor or road debris could too, not worth it to me.
    I wasn't just at your house was I?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on the manual - it should read, "trailer in the down position when NOT using a transom saver". I agree with manual if you don't have a transom saver, but like everyone else has said, the transom saver is very important.

Post Thanks / Like

No you weren't at my house that I'm aware of...does this sound like a story you've recently heard from someone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    No you weren't at my house that I'm aware of...does this sound like a story you've recently heard from someone?
    No, I couldn't remember exactly where you told me you lived, but I was in the area today working, and was at a house where the guy was a painter, and had a white painting van. I thought it may have been you.