Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie fishing on a budget

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie fishing on a budget

Hey guys,

So I'm new to crappie fishing, and I'm hoping to spend a lot of time on the water this summer. I've read a lot of threads and have learned a lot already from this forum. At this point in my life, I just can't really afford to spend a lot of money on a new set up, so I'm going to have to make due with what I have.

Right now I have access to about 4 or 5 ultralight rigs, and a few medium action bass rods.

So my question is do you really need the long 10'-16' rods to spider rig. I can see advantages to having rods that push your lures further from the boat, but can you still catch fish with 6' rod? If longer rods are really necessary, what do y'all thing about trying to use 5 or 6 weig fly rods?

Im really intrigued by the spider rigging concept and would really like to try and fish like that, but i also don't want to be wasting my time if I just don't have the right gear.

From what ive read, I think I will be fine long lining with just about any rod.

So, ya any help would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

If the fish are deep, say late winter into early spring, and again in summer the shorter rods may be used. They will not be as effective though, and will limit you to fishing extremely slow. One of the advantages to the longer rods is they keep the lines out away from the boat when moving forward. Most tight liners fish their poles in the front of the boat while sitting alone or tandem with a partner. The shorter rods could be spaced out along the sides of the boat and used.
    Professional Crappie Removal
    Safe and ethical
    One rod, one jig, one fish at a time.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. There are some nice long lining and spider rig videos on you tube. Also, you can send a pm to David Shands on here. He goes by "G" on the forum. His boat is really laid out for spider rigging. He may even see this thread and answer himself. "G" checks in quite frequently.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6-7 foot rods most all the time out of my kayak. If the water is muddy it's no problem, other wise I troll using a bobber with a weight under it, and it works ok. I'm far from an expert though.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Your short rods will be fine for longlineing. You really need the long ones for spider rigging though.....Grizzly Jig has a set of four 12 ft. Pinnacles for about 60 bucks for the set of four if your on a budget. www.grizzlyjig.com
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by russdvdsn View Post
    Right now I have access to about 4 or 5 ultralight rigs ...
    I know you said you were interested in spider rigging, but you don't have to troll to catch crappie. Simply casting jigs with light/UL spinning tackle has been working for me for the last thirty-five years or so. You're already "geared up" for that.

Just FYI.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First, I want to know where you're going to find an expert? That said, you'll try ways to utilize what you have and hit on your own style. The longer rods keep the baits in front of the pressure wave the boat creates and disturbs the fish somewhat. More important it keeps the lines from the trolling motor. Some folks put a small TM on the side in the middle of the boat and push sideways, and this utilizes some shorter rods. I drifted for years with rods out the side of the boat, turning the outboard one direction as far as you can will set you up to drift sideways instead of nose down wind. Casting to a marker showing a brushpile you found works for many of us. Someone in your area might be able to put you in the boat and see if you like it as much as you think. Good luck with it all, and most of all, Welcome from Middle Tennessee.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys,

Ya, I had a sneaking suspicion that I might be out of luck with spider rigging. But thats ok, I'll just try my luck long lining it or single poling, shooting docks and the likes.

Post Thanks / Like

We are all crappie fishing on a budget!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I see people here very often spiderriggin with the telescoping bream poles and even cane poles. It can be done on the tightest of budgets. If you were closer to me I could give you some long poles that are slated for the next garage sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast