Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to fish high water level during winter months

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to fish high water level during winter months

Have never had the time to fish the winter months before this year. Now the weather is doing a number on lake Shelbyville. The lake is 7 feet above normal and still rising expected to crest in three days at 10+ feet above normal. That will probably change as we got an additional inch of rain this morning. My question is are the crappie going to move up into the shallower water or are they going to go (or stay) deep. I’m sure that in the very near future the Corp of Engineers is going to open the gates to let water out. When they do open gates how will the current created effect the way I should be fishing?
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure that in the very near future the Corp of Engineers is going to open the gates to let water out.
    Will the lake even be open to boating if it's a Corp project? The COE lakes in Pa. usually get shut down when water levels rise to the point the gates have to be open.

Post Thanks / Like

This lake has high water ramps. So far the water is not up to the high water ramp levels. With the high water ramps we have been able to get on the water even when the main ramp is completely underwater.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Truman Lake in Missouri, the crappie are very sensitive to the lake draw down. I have a very tough time if the corps is letting alot of water run in catching crappie or even gettin a bite. One place that is good on truman when they are running water is a place called the wier. It was a temporary dam that was built in front of the dam. Water on both sides is in the 40 foot range but on top of it, its only 15-20 feet. Lots of white bass will move up on this and feed as the lake is being drawn down.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    Will the lake even be open to boating if it's a Corp project? The COE lakes in Pa. usually get shut down when water levels rise to the point the gates have to be open.
    The Corp lakes they are talking about from this area are all Power Dams. I know Bull Shoals Lake in Southern Missouri can be 30' over normal pool and not at high flood stage. They take the lake up high every summer or late spring so they have water for the summer energy months. Only parts ever closed is the White River below the dam if they open gates, water raise very quickly there.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

When I was on the White River in '03, we had to be off by 5:00pm. Stetson's Landing area, and yeah, that water comes up really quick - don't want to be on the far side of the river when the gates open. that river isn't really that wide in the area I was on either. A good cast could almost hit the far shore. They open the gates every night we were there, then by morning the river was back down.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that like high tide? LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va