Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longlining question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining question

Hi All
    I've been longlining this spring with 2 12's and 2 16's up front off the side of the boat and my partner filling in the back with short rods. We are moving at .8 to 1.2 mph. I'm thinking of trying the wally marshall troll tech rigs on the 16' poles as "down poles" for a little tighter turning ability and fewer tangled lines if you get into the yellow stripes and such. The troll techs come in 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz. At .8 to 1.2 mph., what size would you guys think I would need to keep a couple of 1/32 oz. jigs pretty well straight down? Also, would you be able to maybe even fish a small crankbait with the same setup? Thanks.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Tight lining at .5 with 3/4 ounce lead will hold the jigs down, if your going to long line at .8 to 1.2, you will need at least an ounce, maybe more to keep the baits down. Crank baits have more resistances and will take even more weight. On the other hand, if 16 foot rods are used more line can be let out and a slight angle in the line will be okay.
    Professional Crappie Removal
    Safe and ethical
    One rod, one jig, one fish at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry can't help since my long lining is using a 1/32 Oz Roadrunner and only one pole in my hand in spring and fall. I do this also for pre and post spawn when they are in water waiting to go deep or shallow. Usually they are in water 10' to 15' deep when I do this.

However the important part for me is the person with me will also have one pole. I do my best at .8 and less especially this year. Most using that kind of weight I thought were slow trolling or pushing?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I suspected 1oz. might be about right but wanted some conformation before ordering. If I need a little more weight I guess I could go to 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jigheads.
    Hey Skip...You're right...I guess technically I am talking about "pushing" the 2 16' poles and "pulling" the other 6 poles. A combination of techniques! With 6 lines behind the boat instead of 8 there will be less tangles and you can turn sharper without your inside baits dropping to the bottom and hanging up. Also, with the down poles or pushing poles you can control depth precisely. And it's funny you mention the speed of .8mph. That's exactly what I've experienced this year. The waters been a little cooler than normal and I think the fish have been hanging a little deeper. Thanks again.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Mark we even got to the point heading into the wind was slowing us a little and it seemed to help even getting down to 5 to .6 MPH, but I am pulling 1 /32 Oz Roadrunners so it's helps to have something like that which will hold up higher in the water where we were fishing.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!