HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Fall?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Fall?

What does everyone use to calculate jig fall in water? I know jigs will fall at different rates for different weights. I'm curious does shape matter? Been swimming jigs for years and just used the one second = 1 ft rule I was taught. Trying to keep my jigs in that sweet spot as long as possible. Just curious if there's a better way. I'm only talking about a cast and retrieve, no slip bobber rigs.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the 1sec/ft fall rate for 1/16oz jighead w/1.5" plastic body ... when jig drops on slack line, prior to starting the retrieve. Otherwise, I don't think it matters "exactly" what the fall rate is, as long as you find the depth range (zone) where the fish are suspended ... and duplicate the cast distance, retrieve speed, & fall rate countdown.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

X2 to crappiepappy
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Thanks Longpole papaw thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmacks76 View Post
    What does everyone use to calculate jig fall in water? I know jigs will fall at different rates for different weights.
    Line size affects the fall rate, also. In his book, Charlie Brewer on Slider Fishin', CB wrote about this in more detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Count the same no matter what size line or bait and when you catch one then count to the same again,don,t make it confusing, fishing is done best when it is simple to a degree, the old saying about KISS has more in it than we think
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

This method works very well with a pontoon boat full of new anglers and/or ancient ones as well.

Peace and Tight Lines

CS
    Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Count the same no matter what size line or bait and when you catch one then count to the same again,don,t make it confusing, fishing is done best when it is simple to a degree, the old saying about KISS has more in it than we think
    Good point.

Post Thanks / Like

It varies with jig weight, type of bait (plastic tube, solid body, tied, etc), line diameter, etc. Best bet, tie on your favorite baits and sizes, go to a known depth area (sonar), cast it and count it down til it hits bottom. Do the math and you're set.
    Likes Longpole papaw LIKED above post