HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would cause thousands of Asian carp to die all at once

Post Thanks / Like

Default What would cause thousands of Asian carp to die all at once

Went into a back water area off the Missouri River today. We fish it a lot when the water is high enough that we can get in. Well today the banks were littered with thousands of dead Asian carp. Only Asian carp no other fish dead. It had happened last weekend when the water was 10ft. higher because some of them were way up the bank. Some still floating. I don't think there is anything you can put in the water to just kill them. Nothing else was dead. There is a BIG variety of fish in there. Not complaining about the dead carp just curious as to what had happened. We thought maybe water temp. but that didn't seem right either. It is one of those HMMMMMM things. Wish it would happen to the rest of those carp.
    Likes rocket rich LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There is a virus that affects only carp species. It's called Spring Viremia Carp Disease. There was a large die-off of asian carp in the lower Kansas River two weeks ago too. Not sure where you saw the dead ones. It's possible these were from that kill if you were downstream of Kansas City a little ways. To this old biologist a dead asian carp is cause for celebration if native fish aren't affected.
    Likes oldjack25, beagle man, peculiarmike LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That made me think Hmmmmmmm also. Might be some clue there as how to get rid of them. Hope so anyway. I am glad you reported it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

"What would cause thousands of Asian carp to die all at once "

Prayer.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

I passsed around the report on dead asian carp and got a response back from our Columbia Office. "Duane Chapman just stopped by my office. I showed him your email and he said he bets the Asian carp are starving to death. They are in terrible condition and the high water is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. They just can’t take the high water in their condition and they die." The asian carp are having a difficult time filtering enough food from the muddy Missouri it appears. Duane Chapman works for the USGS and is THE authority on Asian carp in the Midwest.
    Likes CrappieHead LIKED above post
    Thanks PDog thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Would that cause probably a thousand of them to die at 1 time? They should have all died in 2011 as long as the Missouri was up that year.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the adults did die in 2011. If you'll notice the size of the Asian carp has drastically been reduced. Duane thinks they either kept up spawning activities in 2011 until they died or starved to death then. He's documented the massive reduction in adult fish. Unfortuantely they successfully reproduced and those fish are repopulated the system.

Post Thanks / Like

they populate way to well. have a hard time finding schools of shad anymore. You may find a school but they turn out to be carp.

Post Thanks / Like

The carp are good bait but cannot be used alive. This is to prevent someone from catching them in the rivers and transferring them to our big lakes.
    Likes CrappieHead LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast