Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help On Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help On Trolling

Need some help from some of you trolling pros out there. I've just got an old aluminum boat that I am rigging for a back up boat. It's 16' long and I am in the process of lining the thing with rod holders. My problem is that all I have for a trolling motor is a transom mount 5 speed (better than nothing). I have an Autopilot on my bass boat with the variable speed and thats all that I have ever used. Do any of you guys use a five speed motor for flatline trolling? I'm trolling jigs not cranks. Looks like tweaking speed will be a problem. I don't think tightlining will be as bad. All I have to do there is just bump along. Anybody use a transom mount motor for trolling? Any advice on any of the above or anything that I have not thought of will be most appreciated. Thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Can you rig both boats with a quick change base plate so you can use the auto pilot on both? The # 2 boat may be the hardest to rig but where there is a will there is a way. My name is "Will" by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    Need some help from some of you trolling pros out there. I've just got an old aluminum boat that I am rigging for a back up boat. It's 16' long and I am in the process of lining the thing with rod holders. My problem is that all I have for a trolling motor is a transom mount 5 speed (better than nothing). I have an Autopilot on my bass boat with the variable speed and thats all that I have ever used. Do any of you guys use a five speed motor for flatline trolling? I'm trolling jigs not cranks. Looks like tweaking speed will be a problem. I don't think tightlining will be as bad. All I have to do there is just bump along. Anybody use a transom mount motor for trolling? Any advice on any of the above or anything that I have not thought of will be most appreciated. Thanks. CF
    I use a five speed on mine. Try either a drift sock or drag a peice of chain on the bottom.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Minnkota trolling motor,,,you can add a maximizer. It converts a 5-speed to a variable speed. Also you might want to back-troll with the transom motor. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    I have never done it, but there is a method called pulling and they take a troll motor and mount it on the side of the boat and pull the boat side ways.

However I don't see a problem using a transom mount type to troll jigs with. I would get that converter too that makes it a variable speed, but you can get by with what you have, it's just a little harder to adjust small amounts for the wind.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

For sure It's not going to be as good as a variable speed,but, It's
    worth trying. I would say it will do a better job trolling against the
    wind rather than with the wind. You will need a speed of approx.
    1 mph, of course this may vary, the crappie may want it a little
    slower or a little faster. Test the speed with a hand held gps.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old 16ft jon boat. The prior owner had mounted a strip of wood inside the bow above the front seat for some reason. I took and cut a pc of 2x6 at a 45 degree angle and fastened it to the front of the boat to create a flat vertical surface on the front of the bow. I then clamped my Minn Kota 5 speed to the bow and run it in reverse. It's a 30lb thrust motor and it will easily pull the boat at 1-2 mph.
    Chartboy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chartboy
    I have an old 16ft jon boat. The prior owner had mounted a strip of wood inside the bow above the front seat for some reason. I took and cut a pc of 2x6 at a 45 degree angle and fastened it to the front of the boat to create a flat vertical surface on the front of the bow. I then clamped my Minn Kota 5 speed to the bow and run it in reverse. It's a 30lb thrust motor and it will easily pull the boat at 1-2 mph.

I have mounted the trolling motor on the side of the boat as near to the front as possible, and when I had it mounted on the very front i just reversed the cables on the battery and used the speeds like normal. forward being forward and reverse being reverse. (I am not recomending reversing the polarity, the newer tm's might not work the same as the older ones. That decision would be up to you) Good luck.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I had this a couple of years ago and it worked fine you just have to bump the trolling motor some just keep the lines straight up and down....The best way to do this is to cut a small piece of chain and troll with the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Would the chain work for flatlining or would it spook the fish before the baits come by? That would work well for tightlining as I could run the chain well out beyond my rods and fish the water in front of the chain. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast